Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dual inventory print hassles...again! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dual inventory print hassles...again!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From the FITA thread on "X-Men 2"
quote:
Some prints DO have SDDS, but not all.
One of our prints had a reel that was not SDDS, but the rest were.

Why oh why are they doing this? Is Sony now charging by the quantity of prints made? Does anyone have an insight to this decision to suddenly make dual inventory prints?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad it's like going back to those Dolby A and SR print inventory days.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-02-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably another squabble among the "big boys" or somebody just screwed up at the plant.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't the soundtracks all printed at the same time?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, all soundtracks are on one sound negative (analog, Dolby Digital, SDDS and DTS). But licensing fees could vary by the number of prints made, so they may choose not to print one of the formats by turning off the printer lamp for that area. Another possibility is that lab QC might find some defects in one of the digital tracks, and negotiate having those prints sold for use only in areas not needing that track.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-02-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason might have been that the SDDS track has smaller pixels (or "fixels") and therefore is more difficult to print, or the prints can not be copied with the same speed as without the SDDS track. Maybe they decided to print a pile of reels without SDDS so they could print them at higher speed which of course will also have affected the image quality.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox had dual inventory of prints on "Die Hard: With a Vengeance"
There was SRD/DTS/SR prints and SDDS/DTS/SR prints.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-02-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there were multiple sound negatives? Maybe someone decided to make SDDS prints at the last minute and only the later prints have SDDS tracks?

Anyway, why was there a need for dual-inventory Dolby A and Dolby SR prints? If I were the distributor, I'd rather take the risk of having SR prints being played in A (which happens all the time even today and doesn't sound offensively bad) than risk having Dolby A prints being played in SR (which sounds terrible). Anyway, the theatres that didn't upgrade to SR probably didn't (don't) care much about sound quality, anyway.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-02-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Fox screw around with Quad Format prints before. I have some frames from a single print of "Strange Days." Some of the frames have SDDS soundtracking on them while some others clearly do not. Just SR/SRD/DTS. Weird.

I'm wondering if the "opening in 93 countries 5-2-03" push has anything to do with the sans-SDDS thing. The United States has the prevailing majority of SDDS installations. So many theaters in Europe, the Far East and many other regions are heavily installed with Dolby Digital and DTS to a lesser extent.

John's probably right though. Licensing fees on print count seems like a likely culprit.

At any rate, in checking the Dallas and Oklahoma City newspapers today, I saw a good number of ads CLAIMING their shows of "X2" were in SDDS. I'm not taking any chances. I'm finding a theater with DTS or Dolby Digital.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three of my prints had no SDDS. If my memory serves me correctly, they were print #'s 2886,2887, and 2888 out of the ETS depot in Rahway, NJ. Not a problem, since we have DTS.

I did remark to some of my people that I hope the folks up the road (our competition) had either Dolby Digital or DTS as well as SDDS, or they would be [bs] out of luck. [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 1 of the print I just saw looked VERY different from reels 2-7. Reel 1 was very grainy and had a washed-out look, no blacks. As soon as reel 2 started it looked 100% better for the remainder of the movie. Whatever that means.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our print was fine, no problems at all

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-03-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed whether or not the SDDS prints are only printed on 2393? I have an SDDS print on 2393, anyone have one on 2383?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the prints I handled were on 2393 and no SDDS.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-03-2003 08:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a 100% sure, but I think the license fee for SDDS is the same regardless of how many prints you make. There is a one-time fee for the encoding, at least that`s how it is here.
Maybe some labs are still not equipped for SDDS or maybe some prints were made outside the US? I wonder if many American prints are made in cheap labs in Mexico or somewhere else outside the US?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: