Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for a few good men (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Looking for a few good men
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And women!

Can you guys out there help me? Dolby has a Theatre Presentation Inspection service, where we grade theatres on the way they present a film to the audience. The focus is on the technical end of the presentation, so I need the most experienced people I can find in all the major cities in the USA and Canada. I'm hoping some of you may know some talented projectionists who may be interested in being part of the team here at Dolby. I have a bunch of good people already, but I am always looking to improve on our experience level, so if you or anyone you know may be interested, here's what I need you to do:

Please e-mail your contact information, an electric copy of your resume, and a brief note explaining why you'd be a person qualified to judge the way a film is presented technically.

Send this all to: screen.inspector@dolby.com

I have a lot of respect for you guys, and am hoping this posting will point a few of you my way. Most of our projects are on the opening day of a major release, so you would have to have a flexible schedule on Fridays primarily, and this is part time work, strictly. John Pytlak, what do you say? We need a guy in Rochester...

I'm sure there will be some questions. So hit me with 'em. Otherwise, if you know any good candidates, please spread the word and pass them along if you would. And in the unfortunate circumstance that we are set with people in the city you are in, thanks for thinking of us, and call us when you move.

Yours, Ted

Ted Costas
Director
Dolby Distributor Services

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the potential "conflict of interest" if someone is a THX Theatre Alignment Program (TAP) evaluator as well, or a Kodak ScreenCheck inspector, for that matter?:

http://www.thx.com/mod/services/filmServices.html

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/evaluation.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/worldwide.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/projTraining.shtml

My interpretation would be that an evaluator is an "independent contractor" who's being asked to be objective in their evaluation, regardless of the company contracting for the evaluation. So Dolby can have them do an evaluation for a release, and the next week they do a different movie for THX.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I work with/know a bunch of overly qualified people here in the Dallas area who would love to help. Just give me a shout anytime you need something evaluated.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you must be confusing me with "Tim" Schafbuch, formerly of THX. Remember Tim, for those of you who don't, he ran THX's Professional Division for quite some time. If I had two words to describe Tim, they whould be "Class Act." In my opinion, and I must stress that the following is my opinion, and not that of Dolby Labs, Tim was one of the main reason's I stayed at THX as long as I did. He left a week or so after ShoWest to pursue other opportunities. I'm just waiting to hear what company swoops him up.

But, Brad, you gotta sign up to work for us. We need you to apply and get in our data base, so we can use you when we need you.

And John P., to answer your question, yes, you are an independent contractor, and can work for Dolby as well as THX. But since you did work previously for THX, we will have to start completely from scratch in your re-training. (Ha, ha) But seriously, Dolby's program is very technically oriented, only a small percentage of the report deals with operations. That's why I'm going to Film-Tech... to beef up my ranks.

Three people have already applied today from the above posting, spread the word.

Thanks!

Yours, Ted

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-01-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I work with/know a bunch of overly qualified people here in the Los Angeles area who would love to help. Just give me a shout anytime you need something evaluated.

(Thanks Brad, For the template! ) [evil]

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DOH! Sorry Ted, I can't believe I wrote "Tim"! My brain hasn't been working too well lately. Need more sleep. [sleep]

Now please allow me to be a minor nuisance: Will Dolby have us evaluate the first day as well as the same print 2 months down the road? THX never did that, but that is the most obvious test there is from a quality control standpoint. [thumbsup]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX used to have evaluators do at least three evaluations over a period of weeks from the opening. Lately, it's just been opening day.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-02-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Sorry TED! That's what I get for following on our fearless leader! [evil]

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I applied. I hope I make it. Of course if anyone else in Denver is picked, I will challenge them to a presentation nitpicking duel! And I will win! [Smile]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's what I get for following on our fearless leader!
DON'T patch this leader. (That's a quote, too)

I told You, Bad Brad ! [sleep] - You were up much too late last night.
-But sleepy or not: You were right. It was the firewall blocking my access. - Thanks.

p.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember me?

Sounds like just what I need to get back into this wonderful industry. I applied! [Cool]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent my info! (And I challenge anyone in my area to a nitpicking duel as well!)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-03-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken!
Re-Hi! Welcome back!

Where have you been?

>>> Phil

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-04-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may not be in the industry, but I can nit-pik with the best of you. When writing my regular movie reviews here, I usually don't list even half the presentation nits I actually notice. [Wink]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being that I'm such a wretched person to watch a movie with - when the feature isn't holding my interest especially [evil] - I felt compelled to apply, so I did. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: