Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Fox Shipping Cases: anyone else seen 'em? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Fox Shipping Cases: anyone else seen 'em?
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-30-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen the new Fox shipping cases? I am not talking about the venerable 'Fox Box' but a new case that appears to be a cross between a water jug and a Warner Bros. ELR case. I just saw a print of X-Men: United come in a pair of these. Sorry I don;t have a pic for you, but they are all plastic construction, molded from gray plastic, and have several parts made from white plastic. They have a 'snap-lock' front clasp with a plastic 'security pin' that slides in to prevent the latch from popping open. Inside, there is quite a bit of room for the reels, and there are 'slots' in the inside that the reel flanges are supposed to slide into to keep things put as the reels are shipped.

I wonder how these will hold up in the long run...

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-30-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron

I saw those cases on a print of Fox's "Dancer Upstairs". They
look very nice and roomy.

Bill

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 12:23 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havn't seen the new containers yet. May see them tomorrow if they are going to be standard. I wish Sony would have done that instead of using the Fox Box approach.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our prints of Xmen 2 today came in normal ETS metal cans. I was shocked they weren't in the ackward Fox Boxes, frankly. Very pleasantly suprised.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 04:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. We got X2 in these new cans. I liked the fact that they were easier to carry upstairs than the boxes or the metal cans. However, it was a pain to get the darn thing closed after we were done buidling! I'm sure I'll figure out a trick to it soon. Cheers!

AJG

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 05:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with a photo? Any indication of who makes these cases?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take some pictures tonight.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the real question:

Do they leave room for the DTS disks?

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is room for the DTS discs. In fact, they fit in snugly and are held in place by the case design. I'll try to explain this, the cases have ridges in the sides that hold the reel flanges so the reels don't flop around freely. Between these straight ridges are curved projections. These don't quite touch the film when a reel is over them, but a DTS disc tray fits directly into the curve. This has the added benefit of allowing you to put the tray into whichever reel slot you want. So the number of reels in the print doesn't matter, just fill the case up to the last reel than add the discs in the next slot.

- Mike

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear colleagues.
You are really getting spoilt having prints actually come on spools and in proper cases.
Here down under our prints all come on flats and in flimsy cardboard boxes!

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw these buggers today, and boy are they nice. The biggest problem that I have with the metal cases that everybody uses, other than the fact that they weigh a ton and are usually beat up, is the fact that the handles always dig into my finger bones when carrying them. It's just not ergonomical to have 40 lbs. be supported by such a small handle. The new plastic cans have a much larger handle and solve that problem. Just wonder how long these things are going to last, as plastic tends to crack and break when mistreated, and we all know that prints aren't shipped in the best of care.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The cases will hold up fine, as they are of high quality durable plastic. However these get the prize for shittiest latch ever.

Full pics will be posted Friday night.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I felt the same way about the latch. I give them one or two more print runs before those latches start to break and disappear and end up getting replaced with all manner of strange things, paper clips and what not. They're a real pain in the ass to close, too.

All in all though I'm a big fan of these boxes. Pretty light, easy to carry, easy to store semi-compactly, great wells for the reels and DTS. I'd certainly like to see more of these put into use.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never tried to latch 'em before today, and ya, these things aren't going to last long. I'm actually surprised that we received all of our cases with the latch pin still attached.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 01:40 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Print came in the the grey cardboard plastic type box. That thing was a pain to carry being a 7 reels. Seems like fox and sony are using them more and more these days. My print of Anger Management and Idenity also came in the same boxes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: