Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Attached Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Attached Trailers
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that the studios can't place a note inside the shipping containers stating which trailers are attached to their prints???? Sometimes there is a printout mentioning what is attached, but most of the time its missing. I know that the chance of adding a trailer of the same title is one in a million, but I haven't been having good luck. This is twice this month that the trailer that I attached was the same as what the studio had placed on their print. Luckily, I preview the print the night before it is to play. Thank goodness fellow forum members are kind enough to post it here on the forum. Bravo, now if only the studios could do the same.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should pull the attatched trailer off (if you place a Feature Presentation snipe between your trailers and the movie) before you build up the rest of the trailer head. [Wink]

=TMP=

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-28-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the majors do enclose a note stating what is attached to the print.

On prints struck at Deluxe, the leader of reel 1 almost always mentions the attached trailer (the exception to this rule is if the trailer is spliced in as opposed to printed along with the feature). Look in the leader frames before the countdown.

-Aaron

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 01:29 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chances aren't a million to one so you are not unlucky in that aspect. If you are like I was, you are limitted to how many trailors you have available, And didn't know what was attached. That used to happen to me. If you build that first reel up on an empty reel towards the end of the attached trailor and use a magnifying glass to read the name of the movie, it will help. More often than not, you are going to feel like you waysted your' time, but when you find out the attached trailor is one you almost put on, the time is definately worth it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-28-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys don't remove the attached trailers? I always remove them and make up the trailer reel before making up the feature. How do you deal with bad splices made at the film depot with spliced-on attached trailers?

I think I've only once gotten a used print that had the "attached" trailer still attached (I removed it).

I love those TES labels that they put on the cans to indicate which trailers are supposed to be attached. Most of the time, they're just plain wrong (from an older film which was shipped in those cans, usually) or otherwise useless (e.g. "the MULTIPLE TRAILERS trailer has been attached to this print").

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a print that came with a notice telling me: "Projectionist: Please note that 20TH CENTURY FOX has been attached to this print. Do not remove or otherwise edit this attached trailer."

Imagine my disappointment when the studio was nowhere to be found, just a lame trailer for one of their films. [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please note that 20TH CENTURY FOX has been attached to this print.
If they are so "attached" to the print, then why did they rent it out? [Big Grin]

Elvis Navas
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Elvis Navas   Email Elvis Navas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, you have an easy work because you receive the trailers attached to the print, we have to make up the trailers one by one each week plus make up the print. If the schedule programer become nut we have to make the trailers up again and again until three times per week. [puke] [bs]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since virtually every theatre removes the attached trailers for sound logos and whatnot, why don't they just enclose them instead of bothering with attaching?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By attaching them they can claim they are part of the movie and thus removing them would be a copyright violation. Or so I've been led to believe.

Not saying there is any legal weight to that claim, just that that could be their logic.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike asks, "Since virtually every theatre removes the attached trailers for sound logos and whatnot, why don't they just enclose them instead of bothering with attaching?"

I don't think it's anything like "virtually every theatre" that removes the attached trailers and does not put them back on.

I think the logic is pretty straightforward. Studios have found that attached trailers are more likely to be played by theatres than enclosed trailers. Especially if there are 5 enclosed trailers and 1 attached trailer, the 1 attached trailer is much more likely to be played than any single one of the enclosed trailers.

--jhawk

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know I tried to make that same point to the Operations Manager that is overmy theatre who also happens to be the Film Buyer for the circuit. He's stance is that the Studios strictly prohibit it and that N.A.T.O is totally against it. His idea of a trailer pack complete with sound snipe is this. 1) Sound Format trailer 2) Any two previews that did not come in the can 3) Attached preview uncut from the film 4) Then the feature itself. All I can say it what a Jack Ass

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the major chains I've ever been to all put a Feature Presentation snipe directly in front of the feature. Everyone knows this, so why does this practice continue? You'd think either a) the studios would yell at the theaters and make them stop doing that or b) they'd realize that people just cut the trailers off anyway and stop putting them on. I wonder how many prints come back to them without the attached trailer.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-29-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Mark M.:
I wonder how many prints come back to them without the attached trailer.

Having both an indoor house and a drive-in, I can tell you that it's extremely rare for me to find a trailer re-attached to a print. More likely, there are no trailers to be found at all. This is even more interesting when a print will arrive at my indoor house in 3 cans... one of which is full of trailers... but the same title (2 weeks old) will arrive at my drive-in as a normal 2-can shipment, sans trailers.

It's almost funny, were it not so tragic, to find an ID frame on the leader of reel 1 "This preview has been rated for all audiences..." etc, etc, [fu]

It does tend to make one understand the frustration that subsequent or sub-run houses are experiencing, not being able to secure a reliable source of trailers, when the first-run houses are brimming to the gills with the darn things... even more so when they get multiple prints (and trailer shipments).

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of attached trailers, what is an easy way to determine where they end? I'm still learning booth, and I'm trying to find an easy way to locate where the attached trailers end so I can correctly place a sound snipe. So far, I have not had a bad splice, but I never know for sure. It seems that the spot to make the cut differs from print to print. I remember on Kangaroo Jack (Warner) there was a blue line, so I cut on that and everything was fine. Can anyone help me out on this one? Again, this is basically in regard to placing our sound snipes. Thanks.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: