Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fuji adds new magenta edgecode

Author Topic: Fuji adds new magenta edgecode
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 02:11 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Fuji has taken a page from the Kodak pagebook.

A Man Apart was printed on Fujicolor, but instead of simply saying "Fujicolor" outboard of the perfs, there's a Kodak-like edgecode. A square rectangle and then "8518D1 101 503 076", a long space, "247 2CN113", another space, and then "FUJICOLOR."

Oddly enough, I found the text very hard to read. It's clearly done in a dot-matrix fashion (as is Kodak's I believe). I had great difficulty distinguishing the letter S from the number 8, and soforth. I'm really not sure what the film stock might actually be. Fujifilm's positive stocks section of their web site is less than helpful, only pointing out that they will be introducing new F-CP 3510 and F-CP 3513DI stocks .

I guess it's likely that it really is "3513DI" rather than "8518D1". (Is DI Digital Intermediate, indicating a target usage, or "only for Digital Intermediate"?)

I am curious if there are Kodak patents that apply in this space, though I didn't find any on a casual search.

Anyhow, I'm sure this will be just as useful as Kodak's magenta edgecode, and Fuji is to be applauded for the purest form of flattery.

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-04-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time for new glasses, jhawk!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 06:09 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Improving the contrast of edge printed data:

Since the RED light reads the CYAN dye layer by making the cyan dye appear black (Blocking the negative color of light), it is logical that you can improve the visibility of the MAGENTA information by viewing it by GREEN light. YELLOW dye blocks BLUE light. This is the CMY system for negatives which print color photos and film images.

Try using green light to see the magenta data on the edges of your prints. Perhaps some clear green wrapping material over the light source would work.

KEN

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 06:59 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, using a GREEN filter (e.g., Wratten 58) or green light should help improve the ability to read the magenta edgeprint, especially if a cyan SDDS track is printed on top of it.

Kodak worked closely with Sony SDDS and the labs in developing the Kodak magenta edgeprinting technology, which has been in use for several years. AFAIK, there is some unique Kodak technology and intellectual property (patents). [Smile]

And to show the apparent difficulty in reading the Fuji edgeprint, I don't think they make any "8518". Maybe "3518" or "3519"? Or as you said, their new "3513"? Looks like they have some work to do to make it more readable. [evil]

Other film manufacturers often "flatter" Kodak and its innovations. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: