Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What a Girl Wants reel 6?

Author Topic: What a Girl Wants reel 6?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our R6 of What a Girl Wants was incredibly grainy with very bad color saturation...just curious if anyone else had similar issues.

Kind of annoying that Techicolor's lab doesn't put copy numbers on reels...

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have that and I didn't actually view the reel myself, but our screener (who also built up the print) reported a thin yellow scratch close to the left side of the screen from the very start of the reel to the end.

We inspected the reel on the bench and could not see any physical signs of a scratch or a thin yellow line.
Possibly it came from the transfer?
Although, those are usually different colors I believe.
I'm still not completely sure how the tansfers of master/inter/supermagadope positives/negatives work, so I'm not sure.

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup So was ours, it was totally RED, looked kinda cool. New reel is on the way!

-Bob

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Weird. Since we had it for one show only, well, it's hard to lose too much sleep over it. We didn't have any colored lines, though there was a thin black vertical line 1/5 of the way from the right edge of the image for the first few seconds of R6. *shrug*

"Perhaps it was a rush job." As John will tell us, the first and last reels are always the last to get printed...

--jhawk

Michael Atkinson
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Michael Atkinson   Email Michael Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem; the scratch was faint and not noticeable during some scenes.

I was actually glad it was there because trying to figure out what caused it kept me awake for the last reel.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our reel 6 had the same scratch going on as the rest of you guys.

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Reel 6 had a thin white/clear vertical line that faded in and out throughout the entire reel. [Roll Eyes]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-02-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like there was a problem with at least one of the printing negatives for reel 6.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-17-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayback in April, I said, "Kind of annoying that Techicolor's lab doesn't put copy numbers on reels..."

For the record, this changed sometime back (before my post even, though I didn't see any such prints), and copy numbers on release prints printed at Technicolor seem to carry copy numbers now (I don't know if it is specific to particular locations). Example:
 -

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: