Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RCA to Coax conversion

Author Topic: RCA to Coax conversion
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will probably be a really simple thing, but I'm curious as to hwo I can take the RCA outs from the DVD player and tie them in to the coax running down to the lobby televsions. We originally had a self-repeating VCR but they like to eat heads due to the continual playback (the HO wouldn't hear of making a full length 2.5 hour trailer video - which would cut the wear/tear on the heads say, by, 500% or better) so I finally convinced them to get a DVD player. I must have been asleep at the time, becuase I forgot the fact that the DVD out's don't use coax.. or this one doesn't...

I'm also going to Rat Shack and see what I can find there..

Any help?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-31-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you still have the VCR, and that it has RCA inputs, you could just run the DVD player through the VCR (you'll likely have to select video or input on the remote).

Radio Shack sells a distribution amp that is probably about $50 to $75 that would effectively do the same thing.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be possible to send the output of the DVD player through the VCR if the DVD your playing turns on the macrocrap (macrovision) in the DVD player. That will drive the auto level in the VCR nuts, which will, in most cases, show up even in E/E (just going through the VCR even though it is not in record). If your TVs are fed base band video, and they have looping type video inputs, or there is a video DA used to feed them all, then all you need is an RCA to BNC adaptor. If you TVs are feed RF (that is, using the antenna in), then you need a modulator. Radio Shack has this as well. You can try to use the VCR as a modulator, by hooking the video out of the DVD to the video in of the VCR (with an RCA to RCA VIDEO type cable (do not use a cable made to just handle audio, they are crap), then the RF (TV) out to the TVs, but you may end up with macrocrap problems (the picture will get brighter and darker, at times loosing color, and sync).

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Second that.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a quick google search (How I love GOOGLE) I found that I'd need an RF modulator that I ran out and picked up at Rat Shack for $29.95. Hooked it up, plugged it in and it works like a champ.

Why would the modulator need an a/c source tho?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Jason...
Why would the modulator need an a/c source tho?

Think of the modulator as a miniature television transmitter. You plug in the video and audio feeds from the DVD player & the modulator turns it into a TV signal on the channel you selected and feeds it down the coax to your TVs. Your VCR has the same thing built into it, which technically has nothing to do with the tape playback section itself.

The modulator is an active device that gets no power from the DVD player... hence the power cord!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-01-2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you need video and audio, the RF modulator may have been the best solution since you can take the DVDs video/audio and made a composite signal out of them...if you just needed to send the video down to a monitor screen, then a simple RCA to BNC adapter would have done the job.

Steve

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 08:56 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and would have given a slightly better picture, bypassing the demodulation from channel 3's (or 4's) carrier to get the composite video signal back. Of course, I'm against hooking up a DVD player with anything less than an S-Video cable. I can spot composite artifacts in TV pictures a mile away since I'm not used to seeing them on my set when watching DVDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: