Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Component Engineering TA-10 Help Needed

Author Topic: Component Engineering TA-10 Help Needed
Bill Hallsworth
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Bill Hallsworth   Email Bill Hallsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem with one of our TA-10's. For whatever reason, it will not read the intermission cue, lens change cues, and will not change the sound format at show start/end. The cue detector (FM-35) is working fine, and the house light cues seem to be working, also.

Here's a description of a typical show: press START button, projector starts. However, sound format remains on non-sync, instead of switching to SR or SRD. When the lens change cue goes through, the detector picks it up, but the lens does not change. When the intermission cue runs through, it is read by the cue detector, but the projector doesn't stop until film run-out, when it beeps. The sound remains on SR, instead of switching to non-sync like it should.

We are running Simplex projectors/sound heads, Strong X-90 console and platters, Component Engineering TA-10 automation with FM-35 cue detector, and Dolby CP-65.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Bill

PS: this is house #13 that is acting up. Could that be the problem?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-31-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you touch on how you determined the FM35 is OK? That would certainly be the first place to check, especially considering it has 3 discrete cues that the TA10 uses to interpret 7 functions. Losing one of those cues from the FM35 could have the effect you describe... but so could a defect in the decoding circuitry. If you're sure the TA10 is getting good contact closures from all 3 cues , separate and combined at the end of the FM35 cable, then you probably have a chip out in the TA10.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-31-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to be careful of when you use multiple cues. The combinations must be applied very carefully and accurately.

If not, what is thought is a correct cue by a human could be ignored by the automation, or as seen as something else. I have seen this happen.....

I would recommend a closer look, and check the LED read-outs on the FM-35 itself to see if what you got is supposed to be what you wanted. If it is, there could be a problem with the micro-relays in the cue detector block, the cable, or maybe the automation itself. It sounds like you might have to do a little more troubleshooting to isolate where the problem lies.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you see the LED's light up on the FM-35 when a cue goes by? It could be something as simple as the plug on the back not being seated all the way.(Could have been knocked while threading or cleaning).It could be that one of the three sensors has gone bad. Try triggering each of them individually with a small metallic object.If one is bad, it could explain why some functions work and some don't. if you see the LED's light up, try listening to see if the automation's relays are firing. TA-10's are usually located on a panel behind the back door in X-90 consoles. The FM-35 connects to the orange vertical terminal strip in the upper left area of the mainboard. The board is marked to show what wire colour goes where from the FM-35. Check for a loose connection there(with the power off of course).

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the FM-35? Maybe it doesn't have the latest upgrades. Check the cable where it plugs into the FM-35 as sometimes the wires come loose in the terminals.

Your TA-10 isn't set to interlock by mistake is it?

Bill Hallsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Bill Hallsworth   Email Bill Hallsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the FM35 by running all 7 cues through it, and the correct LEDs lit up when each cue passed through. I also checked the cable where it plugs into the sensor and the automation board. I haven't found any loose wires or corroded connections or anything.

I'm more inclined to think that there is a bad chip or relay, since the sound format doesn't change from non-sync when you start the show. But then again, what do I know?

Bill

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would try swaping the micro controler board between this unit and another and see if the problem moves with the board

Bill Hallsworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Bill Hallsworth   Email Bill Hallsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks Gordon. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Bill

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If swapping that board doesn't work, check the connector plug at the FM35 itself. Those wires can work loose, even though they look ok. That's why I suggested you check the cues at the other end, preferably with a meter... if you have one handy. We had something similar happen... a real hair puller that turned out to be nothing more than a loose wire on that plug.

Don Olson
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for Don Olson   Author's Homepage   Email Don Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill

The fact that both Events and Cues are not working is telling. First, lets try some things that will ( hopefully )separate the 2 issues.

Before you start the show……Strike the Xenon lamp. Wait a couple seconds and then hit start. Did the second Event ( SR or SRD ) happen?

Next, operate the cues manually with Cue Tape on a small piece of film. Listen for the relays clicking in the TA-10. The FM-35 also has relays so you need to be sure the clicks are coming from the TA-10 mainboard. Do all 7 cues make a relay click?

What we are looking for here is evidence that the Xenon strike is getting into the MCU board and has also damaged the chipset that decodes the cues. This would be the obvious cause of both Events and Cues not functioning properly. So why don’t you try both of these things and call or email me with the results. We can work from there.

Don Olson
Component Engineering

dolson@componentengineering.com
206 284-9171

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fiquered it wouldn't take too long for Oly to respond to this problem.
Hi Don......good to hear from you again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: