Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SuperAudio CD

Author Topic: SuperAudio CD
Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When is this format going to enter the cinema industry?
It seems to me possible that this format will open the road to cinema products for new companies. It can contain discrete surround sound in the highest available quality (no compressioin). Devices should be able to use the timecode found on the film for DTS to track the elapsed time. Sony can make a reentry. I think Philips can also make a good job of it.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-30-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never!
Sony have discredited themselves in the cinema industry by basically dropping SDDS. It makes me really a bit angry, because I am a fan of the format.
Dolby are working on a 14-channel format for digital cinema, and dts is introducing 8-channel sound in the near future to be played from the DX10.
I talked to a sound engineer from Deutsche Grammophon recently (For the unenlightened:that`s one of the most repected labels in classical music). They are slowly introducing the SACD format now for high quality releases of classical music. They were also looking at DVD-Audio, but there was some confusion about standards which might lead to difficulties in the market.

Report to my post in Film-Yak!

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is somewhat pointless to move to a higher sample rate/bit depth for film soundtracks at the moment. The vast majority of on-set dialogue is recorded on dat (16bit, 48KHz) and that which isnt is mostly still done analog. Also, most of the effects libraries out there are on CD (16bit, 44.1kHz) So unless your soundtrack is 100% original sound, you're going to have to up-convert from these sources which does nothing to improve the quality.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-30-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a hierarchy of priorities. More discrete channels and less compression come before higher basic audio bit rates, IMHO. So plenty of uses for higher bandwidth media.

--------------------
Michael, I am honored by your homage. You might want to add "they're--a contraction of THEY ARE" to your their/there list.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course there is another whole use for SACD, and DVD Audio in the cinema and that is for providing really top notch intermission music!! As long as you have an extra 6 chan AUX input to use go for it.......
SACD and DVD Audio are really neato formats, especially for transfer of older analog source material. Its as good or better than having the original master tape in your own home. I did once get comments from someone at a prominent West Coast Digital Procassor manufacturing acility about the fact that yes, the industry will eventually up the sampling raten in cinema processors some day.......And no, it was not someone at Sony that said that....I'll leave it here for now though.
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: