Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton Query (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kinoton Query
Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told that we are running Kinoton FP30B model projectors. As our site doesn't have any original manuals (only for later model projector - auto focus, etc), I can't verify this.

I am almost certain that the 'B' model doesn't exist. Does anyone know this for sure? I would bank my son's inheritance on it being the classic 'D' model. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-28-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right.

FP30D
 -

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Mike,

This has been bugging me for ages!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-30-2003 01:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we found out in a recent discussion with Larry Shaw, the "D" stands for "Direktantrieb", "Direct Drive" (and I had thought for a long time it meant "Digital" for the integrated soundhead!), meaning that the intermittent is directly coupled to the motor instead of a chain or belt. The other series is called "E" because it has the electronically controlled intermittent.
If you had a belt driven machine, it would still not be called "B", because belt is "Riemen" in German.
You can even check if you open the door and look inside. If the intermittent shaft is directly coupled to the motor, it is "D".

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-30-2003 04:32 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To see what the letter and number code for Phillips - Kinoton products descibe, you can visit www.kinotonamerica.com. The home page has a link for "technical" which within that page displays a list of model numbers and manufacturing dates.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 05:09 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, they are definitely FP30'D' model projectors (*circa 1980). Reading the manual I have on site, it refers to FP30D-A and FP30D-F without reference to what the 2nd letter means.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-01-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP-30D presumes an automation (has two big ugly connectors on the front to connect to the outside world). The FP30D-A presumes that one is not using an internal automation (no connectors on the front). The "A" suffix will be very slightly cheaper since it has less equipment.

If memory serves...the FP30-F had a two deck platter (ST-100) mounted below the lamphouse for a complete projection system in a very small footprint. I don't believe the FP 30D-F is available anymore (though waving a lot of money at them would probably get Kinoton to make it).

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-01-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Practically all FP30D/E I have seen here have the internal Pennywise automation.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
There is a drawing of the ST-200E at the bottom of http://www.kinotonamerica.com/st200enew.htm . This can be made with the decks mounted low (like the bottom 2 decks on the ST-400E) so they will slide beneath the LH. This allows using our larger discs, where the earlier mounted-to-the-projector 2 deck platter only allowed using our smallest discs. This does make for a very compact package.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there a reason that film-tech has no kinoton projector manuals in it's manuals section?

we have just recently purchased two second hand fp30's from the knox cinema (eastern states?) which closed down, i probably wont get to see these until just before i have to work on them, so if anyone can help me out with a copy of the FP30D manual? I would be very grateful!
regards
brad haven
Luna on SX cinema Fremantle

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

What a small world! Thats where we recently bought our two FP30's from as well!!

And that are such nice machines, its just a damned shame that prints cant be printed nicely, instead of moving all over the screen - the FP30 is so rock-steady, that printing faults show up even worse! [Smile]

M@

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinotons you are talking about Brad are the FP30 model which came from the now closed Knox 10 operated by Village Roadshow company and has been replaced by a new state of the art complex with the new V max screen.
The model you will be getting if my memory serves me correctly is belt driven not direct drive and dose'nt have the digital sound head unles they were updated but when I last saw them they werent.The knox 10 was one of the first multiplexes to be built in Melbourne back in about 88 or 89 that was about the time the Village multiplex I was at opened not long after knox did as some of us went there to train on the pennywise easymation before our site opened.I understand that all Village multi's had the Kinoton FP 30 projectors at that time.
As for a manual for them I will see if there is one in my collection of stuff .If you are lucky one might come with them.
or you could contact Atlab Melbourne to see if they have one floating about.
Cheers
Stephen [beer]

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

If you happen to have one, can you send one my way too? [Smile]

I think you are indeed correct in that these FP30's are belt driven.

I have a partial manual supplied by Justin at MGS, but its mostly in german, and isnt very complete. And I like manuals for reference.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew.
Will see what I have in my collection.
Are you at Sale?
I did some work at the 3 screen in Bairnsdale for a couple of weeks about 4 yrs ago with John and Mardi .Im Now with Reading here in Geelong.
Cheers
Stephen

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 08:20 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

Yes, I am based at Sale, but currently and doing most of my shifts at Bairnsdale - what can I say, there are a shortage of good projectionists here in the country, and when John and Mardi heard I was back from Sydney they jumped at the chance to "give me as much work as I can handle"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: