Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica DSE

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica DSE
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

I need your help.
DO you know the device at the end of the projector head that stop the projector if print is not seend? We call here "DSE", it works by infrared sensors.

On this device there is a trimmer to set the delay of action.

I was not able to set it because every time we test it the delay was different.

Here is how I've proceed.
1. Lock the CNR platter with a loop of film to disengage the platter alarm
2. Run the projector with DSE turned off.
3. Stike lamp, open dowser
4. Turn on the DSE (without print in the projector) and count how seconds it takes to shut down the projector.

The results were random. Every time I checked the time it was different... What I missed?

Thanks for your help

Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-28-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, it could be one of two things... or something else.

1. You've got a dirty trim pot.
2. The DSE doesn't consistently reach a steady state (it doesn't always turn on in the same amount of time). This would be likely if you are using the 'original' Cinemeccanica 'rotating drum and microswitch' automation.

I would try either fooling the sensor into thinking their is film presence for a few seconds and then time how long it takes to stop after you stop imitating film presence.

Or load up enough film to run for a few seconds (say 20 feet) and see how long it takes to stop each time after you reach the end of the film.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl

It it what I thought, that I should test the sensors with film.
I hoped I could set the DSEs without have to project a movie... [Smile]

Bye
Antonio

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-28-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sensors are just presence detectors and not motion detectors you can just hold a card (or your hand in front of them) for a few seconds before timing how long it takes to stop.

If they are motion detectors you might be able to move a card up and down to simulate film motion. If not just use a short length of film from an old trailer.

If you have multiple units to setup you might be able to measure the resistance (with the units POWER OFF) across the trim pot and then just adjust the others so they have the same resistance. I wouldn't go to that trouble though, just turn the pots so they are in about the same spot.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are motion detector and it is not simple to simulate a film motion without having that damn red led blinking!

Trimpot is not accessibile, I believe that the best thing is to try them in a quite day on credit when noone is in the auditorum! [Smile]

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: