Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10 info (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS XD10 info
Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some data on the new XD10 player:

"The DTS XD10 Media Player is a digital playback system used in cinemas that is designed to deliver 10 channels of superior quality digital audio and video for alternate media, and to provide cinema subtitling, closed captions, and narration. It is a dual system with reference to film sound in that the digital audio data is recorded on DVD/CD-ROM discs that are loaded onto a hard drive in the unit. Proprietary DTS timecode is used to synchronize the sound and picture and is printed onto the release print from the soundtrack negative.

DTS timecode assures not only accurate sound and picture synchronization, but is keyed with a unique serial number to assure films are run with the correct digital audio track. To further ensure fail-safe operation, the XD10 performs automatic error detection. If errors are detected, the XD10 automatically pulses the cinema processor to the proper analog sound format. The timecode is printed between the picture and optical sound track The optical sound track is used for backup and is still available for theaters not yet upgrade to DTS digital resulting in a single inventory of prints. When playing DTS formatted film in DTS digital, the XD10 automatically starts; stops, and tracks film breaks and changeovers.

The XD10 provides left, center, right, left-center, right-center, left-back surround, left surround, right-back surround, right surround, and subwoofer channels. The XD10 is capable of playing back DTS digital sound in 5.1, 6.0, 8-track, and 10-track. It must be connected to a cinema processor capable of managing the desired channel configuration.

The XD10 allows for storage of up to 30 complete film sound tracks loaded on its hard drive. Once the hard drive reaches capacity, obsolete titles are easily deleted allowing new titles to be downloaded. After the title information is downloaded, the projectionist may select what playback is desired.

Software updating the XD10 is easily done with a downloadable system disc. Hardware options are available to expand the XD10 functionality:
- the addition of video board for the Video Option
- the addition a second audio board to expand the number of audio channel outputs to 20
- the addition board for CSP (subtitles/captions) and Narration Options
- the addition of an AES/EBU digital output board.

DTS encoded material is available in two digital sound formats: Standard (APTX100) and Coherent Acoustics.
- Material recorded in standard digital audio at a 44.1K sample rate with APTX100 digital audio data compression (4:1) providing 8 audio channels plus 2 auxiliary channels.
- Material recorded with Coherent Acoustics encoding is scalable, and allows for lossless compression if desired, as well as 96/24. Coherent Acoustics provides for 10 audio channels, plus 2 auxiliary channels. The auxiliary channels will not be phase coherent with the main output channels. The audio used in conjunction with the video will be Coherent Acoustics PCM 48/24 and will be compatible to standard DVD recordings

The XD10’s internal hard drive is used as the film sound signal source and two DVD drives are used to download title/film digital sound information to the hard drive. When DTS cinema discs are placed in the DVD drives, the XD10 automatically downloads the first reel (in approximately 30 seconds). The balance of the reels are then downloaded.
The downloading process only needs to be performed once, from that point on, playback is automatic."

Let me know if you have any questions.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Karen for these information! It a wonderful player!! I've been told that the company where I'm working for is going to buy one (some?)! I hope to manage this new product soon!!

A question: to manage 8 channel must I have an SDDS processor? If I'm not wrong the only configuration to have DTS 8ch is XD-10 + SDDS 3000? And to have 10 channels?

DTS 8ch: does it means that all future SDDS 8ch will be also DTS 8ch? Will be 8ch movie available on DVD only?

Do you already have a logo for new DTS 8ch? [Wink]

Bye
Antonio

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kareen;

This system should be really amazing !

Does DTS present this system on the next cinema Expo in Amsterdam ?

Thanks.

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, as you know there is a growing demand for the rear caption, and my theatre is thinking of purchasing a new unit. It would be nice to be able to run the sound also. I am aware of the price of our current model the dts-css, but how much more would this unit cost, if you have this information?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to use more than 6 channels, you will need to connect it to a cinema processor capable of handling those channels. I know that UltraStereo is coming out with one.

If your CP can only handle 6 channels, then the XD10 will "fold down" the unused channels to a 5.1 configuration. You can program it for whatever playback requirement you need.

Yes, we will show the unit at Cinema Expo in Amsterdam.

Daniel - I am getting pricing and will send you an email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, any word on the first 8+ channel releases?

Will this offer true discrete EX? If so, how will that interface with processors?

I for one am dying to see this unit in action. We have been asking for a hard drive based system and more channels for some time now, and dts has now deliverd. [Smile]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, will prints be shipping with DVDs and CDs for the foreseeable future (4 discs)?

--jhawk

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does DTS have any plans to introduce a CP capable of handling more than 6 channels??

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 01:36 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are working on a new encoder and will start releasing 8-track mixes this summer. Until then, we will be using CD-ROM discs for 5.1 and ES (matrix) mixes. When the 8-track mixes are available, they will most likely be sent out on DVDs as to avoid confusion with 5.1 or ES mixes that are playable only through 6-track cinema processors. Once the 8-track mixes are available, I'd expect to see ES discrete.

The XD10 can download and use both CD-ROM and DVD files. DVD discs are now being used for the DTS-CSS narration, subtitles, and caption tracks. Same is true for the XD10 which will also use DVDs to for video programs.

We are working on a new CP but it won't be available for a while.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-26-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once the 8-track mixes are available, I'd expect to see ES discrete.
So we will actually have 9 discrete channels then?

Has anyone experienced dts Neo:6 in action? How does it compare to ProLogic II?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. If the new 8 channel mixes will be on DVD's, do these prints come only with the DVD's and no CD's? What about all of us who have DTS-6D's? I would assume that prints would come with both, but clarification would be nice.

AJG

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

Eight track mixes cannot playback on the DTS-6 or DTS-6D so there would be no reason to send them to everyone. You would get a 6-track mix if available (which most likely will be available).

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the unit be able to play directly from the DVD drives in case of a hard drive failure?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-28-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked that at the dts booth and the reply was no. I don't really consider that much of a problem though, for just how often do hard drive fail? VERY rarely.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only takes once... [Smile]

Of course, I guess there's always the optical track to use as a back-up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: