Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemechannica C-200 Power Amplifier Modules

Author Topic: Cinemechannica C-200 Power Amplifier Modules
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-20-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for the pin-out connections of the Cinemechannica C-200 Power Amplifier Modules.

Thanks in advance. I didn't see anything in the manual archives.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMECCANICA !!! Would say Antonio [Smile] ))

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You anticipate me! [Wink]

I'll keep a log of all the way you call Cinemeccanica!!!

Bye
Antonio

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be as follows:

PIN-1 Input shield
PIN-2 Input Hot
PIN-3&4 Output -
PIN-5&6 Output +
PIN-7 Mains in
PIN-8 Mains in

Pins arranged like 1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

It should be fairly easy to confirm this by simply looking at the back of the connector. 1 and 2 will likely have a shielded cable connected to them. 7 and 8 will go to the switch on the front. 3&4 will be connected together, as will 5&6 for the output.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-21-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Rick.

I had to "Mule Haul" it anyway because I had to go to the site before I got your answer. It was all a "wire cutter quick disconnect" from a previous theatre somewhere in Canada. I was able to figure the wiring out anyway. I don't know where this C200 quad rack came from, but it wasn't really a mess, it just looked like it had a major haircut.

Actually, those power amplifiers sound fairly good! Only one was Kapoot! And, of course, there was not any documentation that came with this whole sound rack.

I hate those "Here it is, put it in and make it work" jobs...especially when I am totally unfamiliar with them and don't have any damned paperwork of any kind. On some of this equipment, it could be a disaster waiting for a place to happen. [Mad]

[ 03-21-2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a warning Paul, don't try using any monitor system that requires you to join all the speaker output commons together, unless you have a bunch of replacement output transistors and a lot of time.

They actually do sound good, although the damping factor is severly limited by those damn bananna plugs.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got them going. They could have very well come from one of the many theatres we closed up here in a hurry. If so - sorry for the state of the rack, but we were told to get the stuff out as quick as possible. (I was only following orders). They are actually not a bad amp. Quite reliable as long as no one does anything weird to the output(like try to hook up a headphone jack [Wink] )

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-21-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning, Rick. It is good to know that. But on a comforting note, I always presume the amplifier's outputs on strange professional equipment that I have or cannot obtain doucmentation on is balanced. This presumption has kept me out of trouble for many years.

The monitor system is a passive unit, and has an isolated balanced input for each channel. That is how I interfaced it with the C-200 monitor outputs (pins 4 & 6 in this case because if pigtail ID's) to the monitor itself.

Rick Long, Jr....at least you left me with pigtails where I could half-assed ID what went where. [Smile] [Smile]

To be honest, this is the first time in 35 years I had to deal with the C200. I didn't even know they existed. [Smile]

Oh, by the way....the equipment rack was a light blue in color, it had the C200 quad system, a passive monitor, a CP-50, and parametric equalizer by TEAC (if I recall the manufacturer correctly.) It also had an exciter power supply that looks like it has balls, and a blank panel with a muffin motor aimlessly circulating air. Was this one of yours orginally?

Even though the damping factor sucks, I was still impressed with their sound....once I wired the speaker cross-overs corrrecty. But that's a different story I won't go into because the person who wired the speakers didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. This is no put-down for that person, because I was there more than once myself. [Big Grin]

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't sound like ours. They were usually used in 70MM installs with CP-200's (in a separate rack) with Altec 1598 monitors.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-23-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a roadmap of that amplifier for the FT Manual Archives?

Eventually, I'll probably wind up repairing the one that does not work. Also, a question for those who have repaired them...is there any "Heads Up" issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main transormer leads often fail where they go into the potting
That is about the only grief I have had from them

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: