Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ignitor question, spark gap

Author Topic: Ignitor question, spark gap
Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the purpose, and how would you tell if it is correctly adjusted. One thing I notice with a knisley L2000 lamp house. I had problems one night with igniting a bulb with approx 1000 hrs, While tring to ignite you could see the spark in the spark gap, but no high voltage or sparking across the bulb. Just curious if the spark gap would possibly be problem or out of adjustment.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc,
If you fire it with the room lights off you'll probably see it arcing to the mirror at the rear....This is very common. Try looking at the insulator that goes through the mirror and see if its gotten a bit crispy at all. Things tend to conduct when they turn to carbon. If the inslator is ok you may ahev a bad lamp, or a lamp which has the ignition wire too close to the mirror. Get the lamp manufacturers permission BEFORE you remove the nichrome wire. If you don't find any wire there then thats also another possibility. A lamp with that many hours sometimes needs the wire to help conduct the HV and then ionize the gas.

If the lamphouse fires the ignoitor automatically when you turn it on the rectifier would seem to be ok....BUT the relay pcb in the Irem rectifiers does fail once in a while.
Mark @ CLACO

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc, the L2000 ignitor has a factory preset spark gap, don't worry about it. Mark is on the right path, I'll bet the plug that goes in the back of the reflector is grounding out the bulb. (very, very common with that lamphouse) Is that plug held in place by a rubber o-ring or a coil spring? You should order a replacement, they are very cheap.
Jonathan

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The insulator piece thru the reflector has been replace, I had that problem before so all of my knisely lamps have the teflon looking piece. The rectifier is a Kniesly also, So you can rule out the relay board. Just the thing I was thinking of was if the voltage is jumping across the spark gap then I would figure that that was the path of least resistance and my voltage is flowing in that direction. So my thought would be if the spark gap was opened then it would arc across the bulb. If this makes sense. I also verified that I had good connections on both ends of the bulb, so I can rule that out.
Thanks for the responses

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the spark gap doesn't matter, as long as there is a gap. It's a spark gap oscillator in actuality. Changing the gap width (without making it so wide it won't fire, or so close that the ends practically touch) really only changes the fundamental frequency of the tank circuit it is a part of.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-18-2003 09:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
changing the frequency can have other effects. If it get too high the HV will start to tend to fly off more to other items in the lamphouse
If it is too low then the radiated noise into soundsystems can get worse.
Also some of the HV caps don't particularly like too high of frequency

It is normally tuned to about 30KHz according to an old Osram report

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know that, Gordon. I figured it probably had some effect, but was probably minute or negligible. I can understand caps having reactivity issues at higher frequencies, but I don't know how much the frequency changes with the gap width, either.

I've made igniters before, using spare parts in an emergency. For the spark gap, I just placed two wires a short distance apart. As long as it oscillated, it fired.
[Smile]

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks now I know, just curious what/where would you get a scope probe to handle the voltage.
Thanks for the info

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you change the arc gap size it just changes the frequency of the oscillation. They work like an old arc gap transmitter.
Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-14-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2218 days since the last post.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't someone just use a neon sign transformer to create a spark in the bulb, I have one with a 25K secondary that is able to conduct a good length through air.

Am I missing something?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc-
I have several Knisley lamphouses and as others have said,
this is not an uncommon problem with them.

As the bulb ages and becomes a bit harder to strike, you'll
find that very often the negative terminal of the bulb is
arcing to the metal frame that supports the mirror right
at the point where the ass-end of the bulb goes through
the hole in the center of the reflector.

The problem is worse in areas with high humidity.

In several of my lamps, I've fabricated a teflon
collar which pokes through the mirror hole and
provides additional insulation. I'm not sure if
the lamps originally had an insulator there or not,
but the lamps I was working with had none.

However, I see that a shipment of 3 new Knisley L2000's
that I just received, but haven't installed yet, come
with an insulating collar similar to the ones I made.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: