Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP50 Alignment questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP50 Alignment questions
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My CP50 project is getting down to the nitty gritty and I came across some things I am not sure of.
1st off, adjusting the equalization on the CAT64. The manual states that you turn down all CAT64 input controls to minimum. I have not found where you adjust them any more after that. Also, there are four adjustments on the front of the CAT64 marked HF, GAIN and the other set is marked INPUT, OUTPUT. I haven’t found any reference to GAIN, HF so what is it used for and should it even be touched?
2nd, I do not have a CAT85 Pink Noise card so could I use a PC based pink Noise Generator instead and just clip lead it into each input and would it need to be terminated?
3rd, I am considering purchasing a sound pressure meter from Radio shack that has an output on it that I think will serve as a MIC as well.
Also, my screening room is around 20x20 so would there be any special considerations in setting the response and surround delays?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat64 contains some vestigial circuitry that are not used in the CP50 (or any CP) inplementation. HF and Gain are part of a head EQ circuit (like the slit loss adjustment on the pre-amp card).

You might be able to use PC pink noise. I don't know about termination needs. The RS SPL meter is good for setting levels but don't expect a flat response from the mic when connected to an RTA. If you are really desperate and have access to a properly tuned theatre you could take your setup there while someone runs pink noise and trace what odd graph you see displayed (knowing that it represents flat response) then go back home and try to match it. Very crude.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
Yes, you can use the PC based PN generator as long as it is a good broadband pink noise. There are many inferior generators out there.....
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or simply download .wav file of pink noise.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-12-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something to consider about trying to use the mic from the Radio Shack meter with an RTA...

You'd need to know if that output is before or after the built-in A-C weighting.

Also, I'd think you ought to have a mic that is matched to your RTA unit.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or simply download .wav file of pink noise."

If one is doing important EQ work I would consider downloading an unknown WAV file for this use to be reckless and meaningless unless the PN is first tested for its quality. Especially from something like a heavily compressed wav file. Its doubtful that even the best WAV file decoding could properly reconstruct a really high quality PN signal which is a random signal in and of itself. It may sound like PN, but I guarantee you that its not really. Most audio PC cards are pretty lousy too. If one has to use a pre-recorded PN source at least use one from an SACD, or DVD audio disk that is capable of giving decent results. I fear that even PN from a regular CD is not even good enough. It would however be better than using a WAV file source.....see this link......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2515156091&category=23788

Again, like it was mentioned in another previous thread, supposed high quality PN such as everyone thought was in the Sony Processor can turn out to be not so good and you can end up with meaningless eq curves and having wasted alot of time.

While many use the Cat 85 cards for Dolby EQ the PN out of the C.E. card is actually quite a bit better. Both are acceptable but I've always used the C.E. card at Dolbys reccomendation. I would definately reccomend that Sam aquire the C.E. card. Its a handy tool and he seems to want to take his hobby into the next higher realm anyway...If one has gone this far the rest of it is worth doing the right way!!
Mark @ CLACO

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

I think the input controls on the Cat. 64s stay at minimum (with the "Head Equalizer" controls unused) and you only adjust the output controls, per section 7.2.5.e-g on page 7.12.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't use the RS preasure meter for anything but a rough reading of the preasure levels. I couldn't find the instructions for it but if memory serves that output is for re calibration of the preasure meter. Not for sophisticated measurement of EQ cards.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THose two pots are also used in the alignement of a CP100

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a mod that will make the Rat Shack meter more accurate & usefull. Eric Wallin's Homepage

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not hunt around at Toronto Science and Surplus for a nice used Bruel & Kjer SPL meter like Gord and I did a few years aback.....They were only around 75 bucks if my memory serves me correctly.
Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if we're talking about an uncompressed .wav file it's going to be no different than running a software-based pink noise generator. Either is going to be delivering the same digitized PN to the soundcard's D to A circuitry and subject to the same limitations of that and the analog circuitry on the card. Such a file I downloaded sounded fine and looked fine on the RTA.

I would think that ideally one would want a purely analog PN source but then again surely the current generation of digital CP's generate their PN in software too.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen circuits in articles showing how to make an PN generator. I will probably use the RS presure meter just for setting and comparing levels and use a good quality mic for my PC based RTA. Again, what effects or peculiarities should I expect in my 20x20 screening room? Should I make the responce brighter due to the smaller area or go by the book?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP50 manual says to adjust the center Cat64 for 210Mv signal and the left and right Cat64's for a 150Mv signal while dolby tone film is running. Is this that important? If so, where do you get a millivolt meter to make this adjustment?

What if the CP50 has Cat64B's which have no output adjustment on them?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-14-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If so, where do you get a millivolt meter to make this adjustment?
Most if not all modern multimeters have a millivolt range on them.

quote:
What if the CP50 has Cat64B's which have no output adjustment on them?
In the case of 64B's I believe you can skip the parts concerning controls that the 64B doesn't have.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: