Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Schultz Arc Carbons (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Schultz Arc Carbons
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schultz Arc Carbons. I just found their site. Anybody know anything about the products?

[ 03-08-2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2003 03:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can U provide a link to the site please?
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be referring to Schutz cinema arc carbons, which are made in India. Inquiries could be made to:

SCHUTZ CARBON ELECTRODES PVT. LTD.
43, GIDC ESTATE
KALOL(N.G.) - 382 725
DIST. GANDHINAGAR
GUJARAT STATE
INDIA

I have it on good authority that Schutz carbons burn rather fast, but I have no personal experience with them.

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gordon

Pleased to see you are still using quality products ....

Sandie

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, for those who don't know Sandie, she is with Jack Roe Ltd. in the UK and sells, among other cinema supplies, Marble Double Eagle carbons, arc lamp reflectors, and a complete line of cinema supplies. Why not visit their site www.jack-roe.co.uk and get acquainted? [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-11-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, I run a carbon booth from time to time and have been pleased with the quality of the Eagle carbons, though I don't have extensive experience with them. Carbon savers and Enarc reflectors from Marble seem fine, too.

The older nationals (pre-2000) are (were) fine, too. I missed out on the "fun" when National had a bad production run around 2000/2001.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 07:46 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received notice last fall from National and Marble that they were both making their final production runs and to order all you'll ever need. With the quality of the last we received from either, it's not much of a loss. I can't imagine there is enough of a demand to make manufacturing of carbons worth the trouble.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Double Eagle carbons that Jack Roe Ltd. sells are current production from Japan, and still quite [thumbsup] available.

Bob Alder
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Bob Alder   Email Bob Alder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried some samples of these carbons a couple of years ago. Found that they were slightly undersized and burned MUCH faster than the Marble or National. They were certainly cheaper, but that was offset by the rapid consumption.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-14-2003 03:32 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we used a total of one box of Schultz carbons at our drive-in... we quickly hunted down some more Marbles. I didn't get a chance to use them but the guy who did wasn't happy with them at all.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2003 09:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I used Ibagawwa Sunny carbons and they burned very fast with a lot of soot and a very greenish light
I always found lorraine was the best in the superex sizes
Diamond was also a very dirty carbon
Has anyone ever heard of the chineese Seagull carbons

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is sad that Lorraine no longer manufactures carbons. Now that my curiosity has been piqued, I will look further into Chinese carbons, a quest I began several months ago but failed to pursue. The very name "seagull" conjures up thoughts of peculiar combustion residue!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Bachlund: Did you get a chance to test the Seagull carbons?

A theatre I work at is rapidly getting to the point where they must buy more carbons, & I'm trying to research sources & quality of carbons for them.

Who is still burning carbons, & where do you get yours? How do you like them?

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 07:38 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, I have yet to find a source for the Chinese carbons, though I am still looking.

I'd recommend you order from Jack Roe, Ltd. (see my precious reply) for now. You will be pleasantly surprised. [thumbsup]

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been using Schutz carbons (7x8 trim) for about 2 years now in the 2 cinemas where we retained the carbon arcs.
Prior to that we used Marble Double Eagle until the local theatre supply people ceased to carry carbon stock.
Subsequently we imported the Schutz carbons directly from India.
I have found the burning rate almost the same as Marble, no real difference. However the Schutz carbons have a lower colour temperature than the Marble, so appearing more yellowish. Also we encounter the occasional negative which has a faulty core so the flame rises up and the light drops, but by closing the flame gap the flame descends and all is ok.
Overall we are quite satisfied with them.
John Spooner. South Australia.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: