Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Running Load 500 / R2 on Windows XP

Author Topic: Running Load 500 / R2 on Windows XP
Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to carry only one laptop ! So far I can't run a pile of set up software - apparently a Windows deriviative of Virtual PC works - has anyone tried this ?

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There Peter

I've tried it and it doesn't work. It looked like I'd connected to the CP500, and load500 said that I had indeed connected, but absolutely nothing happened. Load500 said that it was updating the software, but nothing happened. When I wrenched the serial cable out of the CP in frustration, there was no damage to the CP. It still worked. This was using virtual PC Windows 98 within Windows 2000 Professional. I think I need to find Ball Theatre Services and apparently there is something on their web site that will work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have to do what I did and that is to patition your HD and install several operating systems on it. The early Sony software requires Win 95, while everything else runs good on 98. I prefer XP Pro and thus I have all three on my drive.
Mark @ CLACO

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-07-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...waiting for Gordon to post something about OS/2...

[Smile]

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R2 software wants real DOS not some emulation. I have used load500 under win98 ok, but win2kpro had problems.
Best bet: do what Mark said, partition your hard drive and set up a dual/multi boot system. I have on my laptop dos6.22 and Win2Kpro (I don't currently have a need for the early SOny software that Mark speaks of, otherwise I'd have Win95 too)
Win2kpro includes a multiboot utility on it for easy use, otherwise get a partition manager program such a "System Commander"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use boot magic along with partition magic
Scott Load 500 dras 10 and R2 work just find in a dos session in OS2 and the sony stuff works fine in a winos2 session

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 03:20 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it requires a real dos mode just carry a 1.44 boot disk with you and boot into dos. I would normally create a DOS folder where I save dos only utilities so its easy to navigate to at the command prompt.

The only other thing to try is compatibility mode in windows XP. Right click on an exe file and 'properties/compatibility' and you can select it to run as if it is in an earlier version of windows. It's a long shot but you never know.

The boot disk is the best and simplist solution its quick to boot and gives you a clean environment.... as long as you are using fat32 and not NTFS as your filing system!

Regards

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2003 03:28 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The boot disk is the best and simplist solution its quick to boot and gives you a clean environment.... as long as you are using fat32 and not NTFS as your filing system!
If you are using NTFS (because your should be) a ~50MB DOS partition will work just as well.

Compatibility likely won't work since it still won't give the software direct access to the hardware -- which is the root problem here. [Frown]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 08:23 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the best option is to look in LOOT for a Win95 laptop !

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another option would be to carry a DOS boot disc which includes CD-ROM drivers (e.g. a Windows 98 SE floppy), and all your applications on an ISO9660 format CD-ROM, which DOS would be able to read. If the laptop's BIOS can boot directly from a CD, you could simply create a bootable CD using a Windows 98 boot floppy as the boot image (e.g. using Nero 5.5), which also includes your applications.

The only drawback with this is that if the primary partiton on your hard disc is NTFS, you won't be able to save any application data, other than to a floppy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: