Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Building-Up Too Fast, Too Tight -- Christie AW3-R and MUT (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Building-Up Too Fast, Too Tight -- Christie AW3-R and MUT
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-06-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a problem at a theatre where movies were building too tightly. They are using Christie AW3-R platter systems.

I observed a projectionist building a movie and the platter was going way too fast, so I told him to slow it down to about 50%. He told me that he was already at 50% on the dial.

I adjusted the little trimpot on the MUT speed control (all the way down) and that helped a great deal.

Is there some way that I can really cut the pace of this system even further? Human nature being what it is, I am sure that someone will take to building movies at 100% Max Speed and I'd like to work this out in such a way that a person like that won't screw up a print.

Does anybody have recommendations as to how many RPM we should get on the platter deck when the MUT dial is at 100% Max Speed?

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-06-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the first time I've ever heard of an AW3 building up too tightly. I used to have the exact opposite problem. I'd consider myself lucky if I had a Christie platter that built up tight enough.

Sorry this response didn't have any useful suggestions. [Roll Eyes]

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-06-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry this response didn't have any useful suggestions.
I'm sorry too.

Anyone else?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-06-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much the speed you have to worry about, it's the back tension. Make sure the supply reel's spindle shaft isn't being restricted.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a guess but possibly the make up table belt too tight?

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my first theater that I did projection at, we had a mutt that restricted the spin of the reel. My manager suggested building up slow, but it was still so tight that I had to bang on the ring from below the platter with a hammer to get it out. At another theater, I had to build up Planet of the Apea at full speed because we got it thirty minuts befor showtime. It wasn't tight at all, and luckily for me there were no scraches from the buildup.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-07-2003 06:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of different motors that can be used in the Christie MUT. The older style builds somewhat loose, the newer style will "bust ass" at speed and wind plenty tight enough to move the print without running it through the projector once.

Personally since I always train for people to load the film where it will play it's first showing, I prefer the older style motor for building (well ok, I really prefer using a Goldberg platter reel for building) and the newer style for breakdown. Just don't run that breakdown much past 2:00 (and that's if you know have the know-how to do it and now screw things up at that kind of speed.)

Oh, and if you choose to alter the speed setting on the potentiometer board, do so with it UNPLUGGED! You can zap things you don't want to get zapped. [Eek!]

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-25-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem remains unsolved. Build-ups are so tight that it is usually quite difficult to remove the hub.

Reducing speed did not really help. One would have to use a ridiculously low speed and that's simply not practical.

Perhaps Bevan can point me in the right direction?

All my MUT's have the larger replacement motors. Belt tension doesn't seem to be an issue.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How hard is it to spin an empty reel by hand on the mut set for "loading"?

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-25-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad I will check that when I return. I'm still in Florida. [Big Grin]

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How hard is it to spin an empty reel by hand on the mut set for "loading"?
Not too sure, but Brad sounds like he's in the ballpark. I would check the belt tension - could be overtightened putting drag on the film. Make sure the pulleys are aligned. Check the motor bearings, the shaft and its associated bearings, too. There's no clutch so those are the only things in the system that will affect the tension of the wind.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 04:14 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new 'larger' motor puts more tension on the belt. Try changing the angle that the bracket holds the motor (more vertical), thus transfering more of the motor weight load from the belt onto the support bracket.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-25-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks.

This makes a lot of sense to me because I never had this problem with the old motors -- but everyone *swore* the new motor was "just as good."

I'll follow up when I get home.

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the Christie MUT, but I did have a problem with a SPECO platter MUT that resulted in EXTREMELY tight make-up on a 70mm print of Brainstorm.

The cause of the "problem" was that the spindle was connected to the MUT motor. For make-up, all you need is a clutch to maintain tension. The issue with this design incorporating the motor for make-up and breakdown on the same spindle is that the motor is driven/energized during make-up, and it turns in a specific direction. So, it matters which way the film comes off of the reel. If the reel turns in the same direction as the motor rotation, the wind will be reasonable. However, if the reel turns against the motor rotation, the wind will be impossibly tight. The motor actually pulls the film tight, and the effect is worse the faster you load, since the motor speed increases as you advance the speed control.

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-05-2003 04:13 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to followup on this...

I built up a number of movies for a special event and did not have the "tight build-up" problem.

What did I do differently from the projectionists?

I built the print onto 6000' reels at the rewind table before going over to the MUT.

I thought EVERYONE did it that way!

The larger (heavier) reel spins more easily, which is extremely beneficial when transferring those first few reels onto the hub-ring-thing.

I will leave it to the scientist types among us to explain exactly why this is so.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: