Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kintek KT-700 distortion

Author Topic: Kintek KT-700 distortion
Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with crackling distortion on my right screen channel, only on high-level signals. Music sounds OK, but loud dialog or effects with lots of high frequencies are overlaid with crackling. A-chain is good (Kelmar reverse-scan LED) and non-sync sounds fine. The amps and speakers check out as well. I'm going to try swapping to the other optical preamp this weekend. Does anyone have any other ideas? Remember, A-type "emulation" only. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Chris

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-05-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the problem with multiple features / trailers or just a single print?

I had two prints with bad (crackling / clipped) analog tracks over the summer...

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be happening on all the prints we have gotten for about the last 3 or 4 months. the weird thing is it just seems to be affecting the right screen channel; everything else sounds OK.
I have swapped screen speakers, amps and cables. With the Kelmar reader turned up just a tad from minimum output-about 205 mV, I'm getting "CAL" level (Kintek's equivalent of Dolby level) at the center of the CAL pot's travel on the optical preamp. Signal level is right on spec all the way through the processor. I'm picking up our print of Catch Me If You Can today and should be making it up tonight. I'll try exchanging preamps and see what happens. Thanks,
Chris
3/7 evening. OK, it may just have been bad prints. On Catch Me, it sounds all right as far as the crackling goes, there's just intermittent "bacon frying" background noise thoughtout the film on all channels. Both optical preamps sound the same.
"Rant On" This print #307 had 4 layers of gooey splicing tape on heads and tails-double sided, 3 ID frames head and tail, and someone stepped on, walked or rolled in the last 20 feet of reel 4 "Rant Off" At least it was pretty clean except for the damage and with Film Guard it's running nice and smooth. Thanks,
Chris

[ 03-08-2003, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Chris Markiewicz ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: