Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Goldberg platter reel use questions

Author Topic: Goldberg platter reel use questions
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a goldberg platter reel. The instructions arent very clear but I think I may have it figured out. To load the show on the reel I simply put it on the make up table with the marked foam around the center ring. I build the show as usual and the remove the drive hub and place the reel on the platter and remove the top and thread the show as normal. Is there something that centers the reel or do you just estimate? Also it says that you can place the reel on the platter and take up the last show for easy break down. Wouldnt the reel be too high above the surface of the deck and scratch the non-soundtrack side of the film? Also wouldnt the reel be pulled across the deck when it started to take up or will it stay centered? Thank you.
John

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've used these things at the Toronto International film festival for the last few years. If they are the same, look at the centre ring that the flanges attach to. Somewhere around it, you should notice what looks like a slot screw. If you turn it with a screwdriver, it will expose itself at the other end as a pin that can be used to engage in the holes on the deck you would normally put the takeup ring. There is no pin for the other side, but there is a hole you can insert something to secure it. I've seen nails or a small screwdriver works fine as well. The idea is to leave the flange attached and lay it on the deck. After the show, simply put the top flange back on with the spindle adapter. The pin then gets turned back up and engages a hole on the top flange, locking both in place.
I have only seen them in use with strong platters, and for the most part, they work fine. No clearance problems when taking up or paying out, but watch out for the black circular sticky pads on the outside of the flanges. They can come off while your'e centering the print and get stuck on the film underneath. You don't see it until after it has jammed up the centrepiece. [Mad]

I haven'e seen them in use with any other platters other than strongs, and not all takeup rings are the same diameter. But, I doubt they were designed to work only with Strongs/Potts.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply Rick. I set the reel on the platter tonight and im confident that I know how to use it now. The only thing that I am concerned with is that the film will rub on the bottom flange during takeup scratching the film. Do I have to adjust the slide bar on my AW3R when I use the platter reel to prevent scratching or am I worried about nothing?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're worried about nothing. If you don't have scratching right now, adding the Goldberg platter reel won't make enough of a difference in height to scratch.

Besides, you should have your slide bar as high as possible while still obtaining a smooth wind. You will actually get a smoother and more tighter wind if you do so. [Smile]

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screw doesnt engage into the holes on my AW3R. Even without it the reel seems to be held in place pretty well. Im gonna try it out tonight as this is the last show for this print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: