Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AW3 Cleaning

Author Topic: Christie AW3 Cleaning
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our AW3 was bought used and needs a good cleaning. I want to know what you would use to clean it with. I know that some things can cause static charge build up on the platter so I dont want to use anything like that. I will probably just use hot water on the decks. The tree is pretty dirty too and I was thinking hot water with some simple green in it. Does that sound ok?
Thanks
John

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of any cleaner that you might use. Read the Label. Beware of, especially, the Orange Cleaner / Degreaser as they have warnings about using on Aluminum surfaces.

I recently found that Windex with Vinegar is good for getting dirt buildup off the platter from hand spinning to wind the tail after the show.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, isn't that only true if the platter was recently used for My Big Fat Greek Wedding? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-02-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What??? Your guys don't handle the platter decks by the edge and underside? (That's one of the first things I train newbies. [Wink] )

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-02-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I generally thread up as each show ends, I just hold the variac in place by holding the arm up with my foot.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do only handle the platter on the edge and underside. It still has to be spotless though [Wink]

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 12:25 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
99% alcohol is good for cleaning everything on the tower. Just keep the deck spinning while cleaning for a streak free shine. Windex works just fine too...Windex! Not "Blue Cleaning liquid."

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how often do you guys have to clean your platter components? the horrible black rollers on our aw3's are great at collecting dust (and gnarling leader). i try and clean all those rollers whenever i open, and the brain rollers before each show, using alcohol. the christie-blue aw3r rollers aren't so bad; i only clean those brains every few days. we don't use filmguard, but are hopefully about to start a trial.

carl

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we only handle the edges but after a few years, there is dirt buildup that I wanted to get up.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct in handling platter deck from only the edge and underside!

DO NOT USE ALCOHOL TO CLEAN BARE ALUMINUM PLATTER DECKS!!! It reacts to the metal and results in a black oxidation of some sort that takes too much effort to remove. Use a light soap/water mixture alnong with a good rinse and throuough drying. Of course a liquid is applied to rags/towels and not to the platter deck directly.

As part of routine weekly maintenance all equipment (including platter decks) were cleaned once a week. And platter deck should also be cleaned prior to a build-up! This chore takes but a few minutes...and if kept up regularly, can really keep your booth looking spiffy..

For painted surfaces I like something like STP silicon based cleaners (automotive use) Keep in mind SILICON. An old rule in classic car circles years ago was to stay away from Armor-All, which was alcohol based and would dry out plastics and upholstry resulting in cracking.

On things like rollers on Christe Platters and the like, a clear silicon based bicycle chain lubricant works wonders!

I also believe that the Christe manual talks about using a light soap and water solution to clean platter decks.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I do to remove oxidation from the decks?

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are aluminum polishes on the market, but I am not sure if it would have any adverse reaction w/film. I guess a solution would be to rinse platter deck off with light soap/water solution and a good rinse as stated in my previous post.

The black oxidation..or whatever it is that is caused by alcohol (on Christie decks) can be removed with light soap/water solution and clean towels...but it is a lot of work! been there and done that! Just be careful not press on the platter decks...for obvious reasons!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-07-2003 06:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just groove / buff the decks and don't worry about it. They will shine like new and really grab hold of the film well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: