Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » what kind of subwoofer is best? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: what kind of subwoofer is best?
Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be replacing the subwoofers in my auditoriums, are there any particular subwoofers that would be better to use?

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Other people will give you better opinions, but in my experience, I found the Electrovoice TL880D subwoofers to be very very good, with high sensitivity and very deep low end.

I believe that JBL's subwoofer are also very good but I never heard them with B6 filter.

However, whatever subwoofer you'll decide to buy, be sure to have enough power both from amp and speaker side.
A inadequate low frequency section will always sounds crap!

Bye
Antonio

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-02-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is limited to the JBL 4645 subwoofer, so I am not in a position to express an opinion as to which subwoofer is "best." Still, I don't mind saying that I like the 4645 subs just fine. (I'm using 2 of the 4645 subwoofer systems in each of my theatres.)

Are you replacing the entire subwoofer system or just the transducer(s)? The JBL 4645 uses a single 18" transducer. It is an 8-Ohm speaker. The model # of the transducer is 2242H.

[JBL markets at least 2 other subwoofer systems (in the 4000 line) for cinema applications, offering 2 or 4 transducers. I don't have any experience with those, but I know they are out there.]

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I blew the 18" I had in there, as a temporary fix, I stuck a 15" MMats Pro in a car box and wired it up. It's on 8 ohms..and sounds really good with my DTS.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Electro-Voice subs used here at Regal Cinema World KICK ASS!!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] Very deep and well-articulated bass, not crappy 1-note jukebox bass. [Wink] Didn't Brad choose E-V subs for his screening room?

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just checked and on the specs list at the end of the pictures of the Film-Tech screening room it says it has 5 EV T-880 18" dual subwoofers.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny

Replacing just the transducer is not a good idea, i believe. Each speaker box is designed for its specific transducer.

Bye
Antonio

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, I have replaced a single transducer in an dual sub enclosure before with no trouble. If you make sure that you get the same model transducer then all should be fine.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-02-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cents on subs:

My all-time favorite has gotta be JBL's 4688's. A solid low-end with a great punch. They were discontinued some years ago after a lawsuit from Bose as it used some of their technology without a license. I put many of those in and always loved them.

Another great one is a "ServoDrive" Bass Tech 7 or some such thing. It used a servo motor mechanically connected to speaker cones in a push-pull fashion. They had a great kick-ass low end, but they used to regularly destroy themselves so I stopped using them. I used a lot of those in mostly simulator rides.

In the "high-end" theatres I used one, two, or 4 of the BGW 2200's. They are really great, but very expensive.

Most theatre applications, I agree the JBL 4642's or the EV 880's are the best solution.

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-02-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio: I never suggested that. I merely asked to clarify Joe's intentions.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-02-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JBL 4688 was certainly an interesting sub...it didn't go real deep, as subs go but what it did it did well.

As for current subs...the EV TL-880D is liked by most. It has real drivers in it (EVX-180s). It isn't the most efficient sub out there but there is often a tradeoff of efficientcy vs. bottom end.

From JBL there are three...the 4645C, 4642A and the 4641. The 4645C is the best of the three and has the best drivers of all listed above. The 2242H driver is a phenominal piece. You can pump 800-watt continious pink noise into it ALL DAY and it won't care. The EV and other drivers would kill themselves under that.

The 4645C with B-6 tuning will do you flat down to 22Hz. If you have sound transfer problems, omitting the B-6 tuning will allow it to smoothly roll off.

The 4642A is one of the best bang for the buck systems out there. It has a pair of 4641A drivers...600-watt each in a cabinet that is more efficient than either the 4645C or the EV TL-880D. The bass is not as smooth as the 4645C but pleases most that have it.

The 4641 is a hybrid....it is the same cabinet as the 4645C but with the driver of the 4642A. Think of it as half of a 4642A for those with just optical SR needs or very small cinemas with digital. Its response is definately not as flat as the 4645C.

My favorite sub for the moment is an appropriate number of JBL 4645C.

Steve

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 03:34 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny

Sorry, I misunderstood you message!

John,

Of course! I've said it because I know some people that replaced their transducers with another ones of another brand... [Frown]

Steve,

It's not clear to me the sensitivity of TL880/4645C. On EV datasheet TL880 is rated 105dB "half space" where 4645C is rated 97dB "half space".

I didn't know that 4688 were discontinued because they implement BOSE tecnology... I have one in my car box that is waiting to become the central part of my future home theater... [Smile] [Smile]

Bye
Antonio

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-03-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your specs again...

The TL-880D is only 98dB from 100-800Hz and more importantly it is only 96dB from 50-125Hz (1-watt/1-meter). And it is double-18 sub.

The JBL 4645C is 99dB from 50 - 500Hz (1-watt/1-meter) and is only a single-18. Two 4645C would increase sensitivity by 3dB so a fair comparision of the two will have the JBL 6dB more efficient and able to handle about double the power with similar frequency response.

The JBL equivalent to the TL-880D is the 4642A. It's sensitivity is 101dB (1w/1m) and handles a little more power than the TL-880D.

So, I stand by my original statements.

Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-03-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I think we need some background information on the B6 technology for this thread.

Is it always needed?
How did it get its name?
What exactly does it do?
Who makes good ones?

...etc...

My understanding is that it is a filter that eliminates subsonic frequencies that can be destructive to a transducer that is incabable of reproducing them. I believe there is also an element of equalization.

I'm a little bit hazy on this last point, but somehow I have the impression that the filter must be compatible with the amplifier. Is that right?

That's the extent of my understanding. We don't use B-6 filters and I'm curious as to whether I'm missing out on anything. As I mentioned, I'm using all JBL 4645, 4645B and 4645C subs.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-03-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B-6 is an "alignment." One can design a speaker that follows the B-6 alignment. Thus by applying the appropriate B-6 filter, one extends their frequency response and protects the system from subsonics.

It is kinda like slit-loss for subwoofers...just at the opposite of the frequency spectrum. You design your system so that it has a rolloff that will exactly match the anticipated boost and what you get is a ruler flat response that drops like a rock below the tuning frequency.

One has to check as to which subwoofers are so aligned. The EV TL-880D is.

For JBL..watch out...the 4645B and 4645C are B-6 boxes but the original 4645 is NOT. The 4645 used the 2245H driver that has a very low cut off due to its sloppy suspension...however that also makes it more likely to allow the voice coil to overexcurt and jump out of the airgap in the pole piece. There is also the issue of foam-rot that the 2245H suffers from over time.

The JBL 4642 did not have B-6 alignment (it also didn't have very good bass) but the 4642A is B-6 aligned and has decent bass.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: