Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about Orange shipping cans

Author Topic: Question about Orange shipping cans
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I can post this here but if not Sorry.
Anyway, what is the significance of "ORANGE" shipping contaniers from TES?
And since I am at it, what does the term mean "Red Band", Green Band" mean?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orange cans: Just to make them stand out from the non-Technicolor cans.

(Sony never did have their cans painted orange.)

A "green band" trailer supposedly can be played to any audience, whereas a "red band" trailer is to be played in front of R or NC-17-rated movies only. However, it's currently recommended not to play green-band trailers for R-rated movies in front of PG or G films.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Sony went over to TES and did not paint their cans orange I figured it was a test to see if they would stay on with TES. Since they have since broken away from this mode of shipping just recently, I wonder if my theory was right.

Can anybody shed light on that?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-01-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Sony was just too cheap to spring for the paint.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was TES that painted the cans, but I bet they charged the distributors for that service.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 12:44 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the orange cans remained the property of TES and are simply part of the service. Ditto ETS cans.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think they would go to the trouble to move all those prints out of the TES cans into ETS cans? You gotta be joking, Steve!

(I suspect that TES will get back their thousands of empty orange cans when wide release Sony films get junked by ETS). The sony movies I've seen since the switch have still had their TES labels underneath the ETS labels on the same cans.

--jhawk

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the orange paint was some sort of anti-piracy camoflage. [Smile]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the UDITOA conference last month we all got to watch the "training video" that Airborne shows it's drivers of how to properly handle and deliver the bright orange shipping containers to theatres.

In the video, not a single can was dented, paint was fresh and not a single scratch on them. All deliveries and pick ups were made within the time window, and the drivers were always courteous and wore a clean pressed uniform. That is how you guys receive your prints.... right??

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought someone was getting cheap (or they ran out of paint) when we started getting grey cans with orange labels on them.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally when the first orange cans came on the scene, they were just a mild curiousity to me. I'd look over at them and think, "what silly things." Then when I started finding orange flakes of paint inside on the prints, I came to hate them with a passion.

Frank

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing special then. The only reason I asked is that I got the impression from another topic that the orange cans denoted a sneak or incomplete film.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-08-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When Sony went over to TES and did not paint their cans orange I figured it was a test to see if they
would stay on with TES. Since they have since broken away from this mode of shipping just recently, I
wonder if my theory was right.

I have received a fair share of Sony titles in orange cans, and non-Sony TES titles in unpainted cans. My guess is the 'plain' cans just came over to TES in the initial transition when Sony joined TES and TES just never got around to painting them...

quote:
The only reason I asked is that I got the impression from another topic that the
orange cans denoted a sneak or incomplete film.

Orange cans, no. TES cans with GREEN labels at one time DID denote a 'special' print (EK and IB prints, usually, and this information was listed on the label), but I have seen enough 'standard run-of-the-mill' prints sporting green labels in the past few years that I no longer think there is a difference between orange and green labels.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: