Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Component Engineering?

Author Topic: Problem with Component Engineering?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2003 03:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see if anyone can help me out.

We have a bad Component Engineering reverse scan reader for a Simplex 5 star soundhead. It is a bad circuit board or similar in the camera assembly and causes some really bad sound at random. It was installed by MTS brand new less than a year ago and is therefore still under warranty. MTS is dead (no complaints there) but our new supplier Bright Star Systems (located in Minnesota just like MTS was) said that Component Engineering would honor the warranty and get us a new assembly shipped out right away. This was almost two weeks ago now.

Nothing has yet arrived. Bright Star says they will check with Component Engineering to get the status but I never get any real answers. I am not sure if the problem is Component Engineering's or Bright Star's, but I am definitely leaning towards Component Engineering. We REALLY need to change this part out. This is our largest screen and there are no workarounds for the problem. Swapping it with the smallest screen would not only create 3 times as much work in the long run, but it really doesn't solve anything. Can somebody slap someone for me please? Help!

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 06:55 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Sorry that you are having problems with essential equipment in your theatre. You are making a wrong assumption: You are a Component Engineering Customer. The fact that you bought something from a dealer (Alive or Gone) makes no difference. Since you made an attempt to contact the current dealer, this shows that you honor the dealer/customer network.

When the dealer/customer network fails or there is no SERVICE component in that network, you are free to contact the manufacturer directly. You are the owner of a defective product which is warranteed by THE MANUFACTURER.

Let us know how you make out with this issue. Any manufacturer is at risk of the promises made and how they are fulfilled by their distribution network. The measure of the manufacturer's concern is how they deal directly with the customer. (This is why the auto manufacturers have 800 numbers)

KEN

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Its obvious that you need to get ahold of a real dealer and that you should have just clled Component yourself. Sounds like they should be re-named Dim Star to me! The guys at C.E. are very nice to do buisness with and would surely honor the warranty and send you a new PCB with just a phone call.
Mark @ CLACO

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Component's phone # where I can contact a reliable individual?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-28-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phone: (206) 284-9171
Fax: (206) 286-4462
Don Olson: dolson@componentengineering.com

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have several of these... I find if you wiggle the wires going to the back, that clears up any static-noise type problems.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never known Component Engineering to give less than "Kicks Ass and Takes Names" service! Up to and including the problem that I recently posted here on F.T.

In fact, that should be the new company slogan...
Component Engineering: We kick ass and take names!
(You should put that on T-Shirts and wear them to Sho-West!)

[Big Grin]

Do contact then directly, Joe. They will talk you through your problem as much as is possible by phone. If you have the serial number for the product in question they can likely tell you whether it's in warranty just from that. If it is a warranty replacement they will take care of it with all due speed. If it's out of warranty, they will STILL do whatever it takes to help you out but you will just have to pay for the replacement parts.

Like I have said, I have not known them to be any less. If there is a problem with service, it seems to be with your distributor. They have left you with what is essentially a "house down" for two weeks, now! That's NOT acceptable! I know you are not the boss of your place, Joe, but if I were you I would do what I can to convey this sentiment to that distributor and let them know that your company is not pleased with the service they have received.

Can you get the boss to send a letter to that effect?

And, yes, I agree with John W. on a possible solution:
Sometimes the connectors on the back that hold the sound wires get loose.

I don't really wanna' sound like I'm cheerleading for C.E. but it MIGHT not be the fault of the equipment. I have seen shoddy installation where the wires were not inserted into the connectors properly. The unitl will work fine for testing and initial operation but, over time, the wires will vibrate loose and give you intermittent connections. You'll get interference in your system that sounds like a swarm of bees attacking. It can occur in short bursts or last for long periods of time... several seconds to minutes.

You can verify if this is the problem by wiggling the wires in the sound head that go to the back of the reader. You should be able to recreate the problem if it is not occurring or stop the problem if it is occuring. A temporary fix (for the duration of a show) would be to put a piece of gaffer's tape over the connections to hold them in place and keep them from vibrating/moving. This will give you a chance to get through the current show(s) so at the end of the run/day you can get your tools out and fix it for good. (Or call your tech.)

My solution has been to take all the wires out of the connectors, recut the ends (if you can) and restrip the insulation. Take a soldering iron and tin the ends of the wires so that the strands make a nice, neat, solid bundle. Reinsert the ends into the connectors and tighten them down properly.

I worked in a theater that had a rash of these problems. The consoles were all pre-wired by CFS. (I'm not sorry to see them go down the tubes, I'm afraid to say.) I finally went in there and did all the connections on all 17 projectors over again. The problem went away and, thus far, has never returned.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-mailed Don with all of the facts that I can give. Thanks.

I have checked all the connections and there are random dropouts of the right channel at times as well in addition to some static and thumping sounds. Wiggling the wires made no difference. Sometimes the sound will be fine for days.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo Randy's description of C E's service. Matter of fact, a couple of their people live here in my town.

I have a customer whos reader got real dull sounding. Turned out that oil had seeped into the pickup tube & found its way into the lens (apparently, a multi-element arrangement)... all this due to massive over-oiling on the operator's part.

I called the factory in Ballard (Seattle), then took the unit to them. They took it from me & brought back a rebuilt one, no questions asked. They also told me they would have had one of their people bring it to me on their way home that day, if I hadn't needed it to get the theatre back up.

Can't do much better than that! [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the problems between Bright Star, Component Engineering and myself seem to have been resolved and I will be getting a replacement assembly tomorrow a.m.

Everyone seems to have good things to say about Component Engineering and that is definitely good.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,

I can only say that Component Engineering have been exceptional in their dealings with me in the recent past. When you consider the distance involved I'd get parts within a few days and advice whenever I needed it. I can't thank them enough for the efforts they made to resolve the minor problems I was experiencing. It's always difficult buying equipment from half way round the world, but they were always there when needed.

So to hear that you felt let down was a surprise to say the least. However it seems things have now been resolved for you. Don't let, what I'm sure is a one off, put you off Component Engineering. [thumbsup]

Regards.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely not swayed towards negative thinking about Component Engineering. They have had good advice so far today and have been pretty helpful. The whole thing turned out to be a lack of communication. That's bound to happen sometimes as nobody is perfect. Life goes on, we learn, and things get fixed! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess one thing also that has to be brought up is the financial relationship between the theatre and the dealer
In many cases service and parts are withheld if the theatre hasn't been keeping there bills paid up in a current fashion

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 09:01 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a problem with one of my CE reverse scans, where the ribbon cable became detached from the conection pins. Even though I had gotten it from a now defunct dealer, American Cinema Equipment got me a new part in a few days. In the mean time I was able to jerry-rig it, and swaped it with another that was just a digital back-up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: