Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Dolby Digital EX Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: New Dolby Digital EX Trailer
Michael Atkinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Michael Atkinson   Email Michael Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following is the link to Dolby's press release. Hopefully it will be just as good as the original Dolby Train trailer.

Dolby's STOMP Trailer

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The trailer was conceived and choreographed by STOMP creators Luke Cresswell and Steve McNicholas for use not only in cinemas, but also for applications including DVD, broadcast, and video gaming.
DVD, bah!

There's no way this trailer is going to make kids cry. [thumbsdown]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No preview of the trailer in quicktime or something??

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
STOMP is pretty cool and no doubt this will be a fun logo trailer, but please, please, please Dolby...give us something to scare the kiddies with! [evil] BRING BACK THE FIRST VERSION OF THE TRAIN TRAILER.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-27-2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've lost count. Wouldn't "Stomp" be the 7th theatrical trailer for Dolby Digital? ("Game" doesn't count since it is only for computer/multimedia stuff).

The press stuff says DVD is a possible outlet for this trailer. However, in spite of the wealth of DD trailers, hardly any of them are ever used. DTS has only 2 trailers and I see both of them on DVD releases a lot more often.

As a sidenote, THX has 8 active theatrical trailers (10 having been released total if you count the first trailer, "Wings" and the special "T2" trailer the "Cavalcade" snipe regurges). So THX is still the leader on count of format snipes.

Do you suppose word of the DD "Stomp" trailer's release might do more to light a fire under the butts of the folks there at DTS to get another trailer made? I know Karen said one is in the works. Hopefully it will get delivered to theaters by this summer (in part to celebrate the 10th anniversary of DTS).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, maybe DTS could have another boring musical instrument trailer. Now that I think of it, that trailer doesn't even sound like the Yamaha piano it features.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most exciting thing about going to the movies especially the Waikiki theatres was the Dolby and DTS sound trailers. I also agree with you Brad, the original "TRAIN" trailer with the designation Dolby Stereo DIGITAL is still the best. The shorter one that use the current Dolby Digital logo is ok but not as good as the original. I also like "EGYPT" and CANYON". Except for Signature Theatres, digital sound trailers are no longer used here in Hawaii. Sad!

-claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful about that description Claude. There were TWO versions of the Train trailer that ended with "Dolby Stereo Digital", and the second one sucked.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know that, Brad.

I do know that the one the Waikiki #2 and #3 used was the original Dolby trailer because when it was shown before the theatres closed, the trailers looked like they have ssen better days because of fine scratched on the image. I did not care how it looked. As long as the sound was awesome which it was at both of the Waikiki SRD equipped theatres.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The original one started very quiet with "pings" in each speaker, then after a pause got LOUD! The second one (also with the "Dolby Stereo Digital" logo at the end) also has the "pings", but it started loud and the mix was nowhere near as clean nor powerful. If I remember correctly, it had an annoying high pitched train whistle mixed in as well. I have copies of that second one, but unfortunately I do not have one of the original.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-28-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memo to Dolby: In addition to bringing back "Train," please also bring back "City." And give us another SR trailer, too; "Temple" gets really boring after about the second viewing.

One of my favorite sound logo trailers is SDDS "Jungle"; it's a bit on the long side, but it "works" well with the right film.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-28-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS trailers are something hardly ever seen. One would think they would be an automatic staple at any AMC site. I only saw the first SDDS trailer the first couple times I visited AMC's Grand 24 in Dallas when it opened in 1995. And then I've seen the "Volcano" SDDS trailer only once (on the front of "The Matrix" at Oklahoma City's AMC Quail Springs Mall 24 --when that theater was still new).

Bobby Henderson

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-28-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to this trailer and I hope it's a good one.

We really do need another DTS trailer. That piano one was a major, MAJOR disappointment.

I'd also like to see another Dolby SR trailer. The "Temple" trailer was okay for the first four years we used it but...

Well, we don't run the SR trailer anymore the way we once did. In fact, there have been talks of devising our own "Stereo" trailer for the analog houses. Wouldn't THAT be fun!?

I believe Muvico has a special version of Dolby's "Egypt" trailer to complement their Egyptian-themed multiplexes.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are actually three SDDS trailers and all use footage that were shot at Hawaii Volcano National Park and off the coast of the big island of Hawaii where the park is. The three trailers include "VOLCANO", "JUNGLE" and "OCEAN". I dont know if the later is called that but it the one under the sea.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, in case you didn't know, SDDS charges for their trailers. Dolby and dts are both very good about supplying their equipped theaters with trailers at no cost. The result, Dolby and dts get free publicity. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: