Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analog Track On Chicago (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Analog Track On Chicago
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-25-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have very many of you techers listened to the SR analog track on Chicago? Man, it is superb! Tune in and listen......with SR tracks like this who needs digital??
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The auditorium we're playing Chicago in has a bad SDDS unit and for now we're showing it in emergency back-up sound, and have had no complaints except one for being to loud.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-25-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also noticed exceptional SR on Greek Wedding.I have not listened to Chicago in SR yet, but the SRD and DTS mixes are great.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-26-2003 12:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right. That's a really solid SR track. When I heard it I kept saying to myself: "It sounds like digital."

I had to play CHICAGO in SR during opening week here because the DTS discs were late in coming (even though the movie had been in release for about 2 months already).

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-26-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greek Wedding?? ARE YOU NUTZ??

The track on that film was horrible, full of noise and clicks and distortion. Yuck! No thanks.

Josh

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 04:09 AM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to run Chicago analog because the Canadian distributor, Alliance, may have only arranged for enough DTS discs for the initial limited Christmas openings. When it went wide, everyone else was out of luck.

I haven't had a chance to sit through the feature yet, but I did notice that it is a very hot track, and I had to back off the fader. At the standard fader setting, a senior in an adjacent cinema complained that he wasn't paying to hear Chicago when he was trying to listen to Catch Me If You Can! He wasn't kidding. It really was that loud at the standard setting.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 04:44 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SR Track on 'Slap Her She's French' was quite good.

And yes 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Yuck!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 06:17 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I heard CHICAGO's analog track the last time I saw it. I can't confirm that, as Marcus Theatres rarely respond to customer comments. It sounded VERY good, and the only way I could tell it wasn't digital was some splice pops and mono surrounds. This is a very well made movie in almost every way.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-26-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave C. wrote:
quote:
I haven't had a chance to sit through the feature yet, but I did notice that it is a very hot track, and I had to back off the fader. At the standard fader setting, a senior in an adjacent cinema complained that he wasn't paying to hear Chicago when he was trying to listen to Catch Me If You Can! He wasn't kidding. It really was that loud at the standard setting.
I believe this is related to the way in which your theatre has been set up, and not exactly a fault on the part of the film-makers.

But, then, that's just an opinion based on my experience with the track.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give Mike O the prize! I hated Chicago [Razz] but admired the Dolby Digital mix.

Lack of DTS discs? Blame Miramax -- they can afford to buy Oscar nominations but can't afford to have enough DTS discs pressed. And yes, Miramax still refuses to identify DTS theaters in stack ads.

Greek Wedding was SR-only yet had an excellent mix whether you saw that movie in a small or giant-size hall. No wonder it became a big hit! [Wink]

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-26-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Greek Wedding was SR-only yet had an excellent mix whether you saw that movie in a small or giant-size hall. No wonder it became a big hit!
I noticed the 'wink' at the end of your post, but I'm just trying to be 100% sure...

...Are you saying it was the audio mix that made MBFGW a hit?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yes, Miramax still refuses to identify DTS theaters in stack ads.
Maybe in your area, Charles, but not in Los Angeles.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the soundtrack on CHICAGO, I was very impressed with the orchestral recording on this film. There are some very exciting orchestrations, especially the CELL BLOCK TANGO. The horn scoring there is spectacular, and the drummer is truly driving the whole thing home. RAZZLE DAZZLE also has some very interesting things going on. I believe that one was orchestrated by Michael Starobin, one of the best orchestrators around.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny IFYI i just checked daves theatre and there is nothing wrong with his set up just walls that bleed a bit since originally it was designed all mono 6 plex before it is now all sva with2 dts houses

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-26-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is nothing wrong with his set up just walls that bleed a bit
That counts. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: