Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interval in "Lord of the Rings- two Towers."

Author Topic: Interval in "Lord of the Rings- two Towers."
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your opinions, would you run this feature (178 mins) without a break or stop it about half way for an interval.
I had an interesting debate with a colleague about this matter, where I maintained that if the director intended a break, there would be an intermission tag incorporated in the print or similar instruction. I also maintained that Mr. Jackson did not intend a break in his work so the film must be run without interruption.
I suggested to run a few cartoons at first, then have a break before the feature, so the patrons can buy chocolates & drinks.
In my opinion, just stopping at the end of a reel for an arbitory break is wrong, a discredit to the director and will be seen by the patrons as just a grab for a few dollars in candy sales.
Perhaps you could give me your opinions on the matter.
Regards, John Spooner.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey what are you doing up at 3am?
Let me guess, got home from the cinema at 1am after LOTR 9.30 pm session ran till about 12.30am, then watched the cricket till 2.15am, then Letterman, then got onto the computer and will be up till 5am! (Cause that is what happens to me!)

I vote no to an interval, otherwise we are out AFTER 1am!! [Frown]
However I also vote yes if the film was made to HAVE an interval.
I like that idea for the reson you suggest, we make more at the candy bar sure., but late comers, if they know there is going to an interval can wait until then to get the popcorn and coke, those needing to go to the bathroom can hang on until interval instead of missing some of the movie (and is'nt it always the best part you miss when doing that!)

John, I'm sending you my ICQ number right now in email, so we can discuss stuff from our other emails, about the two fantasic companies we work for, and anything else!

Bill.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Extended Version of LOTR FOTR released on DVD had an intermission after the Council at Rivendell Scene. I assume that the LOTR TTT extended version DVD will be likewise. The intermission was necessary due to the running time of the extended version (extra 1/2 hour) I believe that the film company will provide you with details about doing an intermission if you want as some people (namely tower systems) can not run the feature non-stop. Do a search in the forums and I'm sure someone has talked about where to do an intermission.
From a purely finacial point of view the added concession sales would make it worth having an intermission

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We threw an intermission after the "olliphant" battle scene. Approx 1hr 20mins. Ran TTT both with & without intermission. Most punters loved the intermission

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

How do you have an intermission on DVD?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-24-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably due to its relatively long length and their desire to keep the average bitrate as high as practical, and since it has both Dolby and DTS sound, they had to break up the extended edition movie onto 2 discs. Then there are 2 additional discs of extras. The "intermission" is at the end of the Rivendell scene (like someone else said) and it actually works well there.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-24-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Brown, you get up from your seat, eject disc 1, put it back into the box, take disc 2 our of the box, put it into the DVD player, sit down again and press play on the remote control. Or if you have misplaced your RC, press play and then quickly sit down.
What I didn`t like about the LOTR DVD was that disc 2 also had all the logo crap at the start of the disc instead of just starting with the movie again. It destroys the mood of the film.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-24-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For any other DVD feature, you insert an intermission by finding the RC and pressing the pause button. The button looks something like this: ||
You then follow the last step of the above post to end your intermission.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(bump)

Is there an intermission tag avalible for Two Towers?

Do I just need to ring New Line in the UK after we have booked the film in the normal way?

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Some of the guys I know running from towers got the Intermission tags loose in the shipping can, others had to call New Line. I'd give them a call, to be sure.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried to get hold of one before. I just don't want to ring New Line and confuse the person on the other end.

If I ask for the 'intermission tag' will they know what I mean?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: