Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "We Ran It Wet" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "We Ran It Wet"
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a conversation with a retired local newscaster he said that on important and just happened events shot on 16 mm film they "ran it wet". Did they actually run wet film or was he just saying they speeded up the processing and drying process? If wet, did it require special equipment? Did it damage the film? He got a call and had to leave before he could explain. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 04:56 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard that expression used in a literal sense but who knows.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cases it was telecine'd wet

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just speculating here...
but, when I was working in TV (back in the early '70s), the newsguys would take the processed film, edit it (except for 'B' rolls, which we had to do), separate the cuts with leader film & send it in on one reel. We'd run the film through a comb filter & put the cuts, with the standard countdown we used, on tape (um.... dating me here... 2" quad!) in the order it was expected to run in the evening news.

Perhaps the saying refers to a less edited process where the film might be run directly 'on air'...?? It would be a way to get something on quickly, though without the pomp & procedure of normal operations.

We were running color, super 8 mm magstripe, though the other stations were running 16mm... B&W! [evil]

It was the first time I'd ever seen film get stored in a refrigerator!

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known of 16mm newsfilm literally being run wet. Remember that most stations had their own 16mm reversal processing in-house. For a late-breaking story, you could pull the film out right after the wash, skipping the forced air drying compartment of the processing machine. You might try to wipe some of the water off with a cloth as it wound onto the reel, if you had time. The film could be aired on the telecine while literally wet, if it meant the difference in getting the story on the air or not.

I've also heard of something even stranger...
In the B&W days, reversal film could be threaded through some processors (like the old Houston-Fearless) so as to skip the second developer steps and go right into the fixer, and pulled out of the machine as a NEGATIVE (with really wacky gamma). You then flipped the polarity switch on the film chain camera, which switched the camera to a negative image, and aired it that way. It was ugly, but it was considered better than letting a competing station get the pictures on the air first. You could get film on the air in about half the normal time that way.But that one was only done in extreme situations, where time was of the absolute essence, and where additional footage could be shot of the same scene for later air. That was necessary because the incompletely processed image would start fading away almost as soon as it came out of the machine.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fascinating, Bill.
I remember us literally manhandling reels of 2" videotape within seconds of the evening news opening... but I never saw anything quite that urgent. Maybe our stations were too small. The news "crew" was actually on the air at 5, and our chief engineer was the only one that operated the film processor. You didn't want to be on his bad side back then, so they couldn't get too crazy. There'd be times where it was nuts in the control room for us, but by then they'd be primping in the news set.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 06:25 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in TV in the mid-60's. Yes, we did run wet 16mm newsfilm. It was stuff that absolutely had to air on the local news. I was told that film in this condition could easily be damaged and would fade easily, since some processing steps were omitted. (I believe it was Ekatchrome reversal and the station had a film processing lab)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 06:38 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastman VNF is still made, but I'm not sure what it's used for now, obviously not news work.

John?

It used to be horrible stuff, I haven't seen any for years; I don't know if it's improved since then.

Returning to the original subject, the Baird intermediate film system, used briefly by the BBC in 1936 transmitted wet film, I think it was 17.5mm, but I've never seen any. There are supposed to be a few frames surviving somewhere.

The film passed straight from the camera to a processor, where it was processed in less than a minute, and was then transmitted wet. A cyanide fixer was used, I assume this was for speed, and I think the film must have been a negative. I once met someone who had worked on this equipment, and he said that performers would sometimes rush to the control room when they finished their act, to catch the last few seconds of their performance on the monitor.

I think the Baird system, in its final version, achieved something like 240 lines. The BBC used this, and the Marconi EMI 405 line system alternately for a short time, then the decision was made that the Marconi system would be adopted, and Baird was dropped. The Marconi system was used until the television service was shut down on the outbreak of war in 1939.

The same system was used when the service resumed after the war, and a second, independant, channel started in the '50s. The BBC made some expermental colour transmissions, using NTSC on 405 lines, but it was decided that Britain would switch to the european standard CCIR 625 line system. This was first used here when our third channel, BBC2, started in 1964, (and was put off the air on it's opening night by a fire in a power station).

The two existing channels remained on 405 lines VHF (the 625 lines service is on UHF), so dual-standard sets were made for some years; we didn't have one of these, so we couldn't get BBC2; I remember being jealous of the neighbours and their new 625 line set!

Regular colour transmissions started in 1967, using PAL, and from this time, the other two channels were also available on 625 lines UHF, but also continued, in black and white, on 405 lines, VHF. The last VHF transmittrs were not shut down until the early '80s, by which time the last 405 only sets would have been getting on for twenty years old. I doubt if there were many still in use for several years before this.

It's a pity that more of the early television equipment doesn't survive.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Logie Bairds 250line television system ran 16mm film wet, it took a lot of light to expose the spinning nipkow disk so the only way to get film a subject with minimal lights was with 16mm! This was when 250line television and the BBC 405 line systems were competing,you can sort of see why the fully electronic one eneded up being used!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

the Baird system must have been an absolute nightmare to work with. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the camera was fixed in position, built into the studio wall. I don't think multi-camera work would have been possible, and I'm not sure how much film stock the camera could hold.

As I understand it, an anouncer would be standing in darkness, in the flying spot 'spotlight studio', which was just about big enough to hold one person, they would then anounce the act, and were transmitted live by a mechanically-scanned spot if light flashing across their face. The actual perfomance, lasting just a few minutes, would then be transmitted by the film system. The result must have been somewhat like watching a music hall performance. From a production point of view, it must have been rather similar to the way that sound on disk films had been made, a few years erlier.

Baird did some remarkable work, he had demonstrated colour television, 3-D, and large screen projection very early, I think in the '30s, and proved the possibility of a television service, but his system, as used by the BBC, was clearly impractical, and inferior to the Marconi system then on offer. Baird's ork really belongs in the experimental era, rather than that of a regular public television service. I wonder how serious the BBC trial of the two systems was, surely, the electronic system must have made the Baird system obsolete by this time? Maybe the BBC had to be seen to be giving a British inventor a fair chance. It is difficult to believe that anybody comparing the two systems, as available at that time, would have opted for the Baird one.

The BBC Baird system really was the ultimate in electro-mechanical television; it had improved considerably from the 30 line days, but there wasn't really much scope to develop it further, and it would have severly limited the type of programming which could have been produced.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the 1936 Olympic Games at Berlin, they used both stationary electronic cameras and a system called "zwischenfilmverfahren" (indirect film transmission system).

The 35mm film camera was mounted on top of a mobile truck, the exposed film went into the truck, was developed and scanned for transmission, if I remember right, with a rotating prism/mirror device based on the Mechau projector mechanism.
The developing and scanning took about 50 seconds, which was an acceptable delay in transmission.

The reason for this procedure was that the early TV cameras could not be moved around without having to recalibrate the electronics, but I`m not sure of that, just read it somewhere.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1953 the Plaza Theatre, Piccadilly Circus in London, did a continuous exposed 35mm-telerecording film of the Coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth II taken from the BBC transmission. I cannot remember what the time lapse was from processing to projection, but I believe it was within a very short space of time. I think there was an article published by the BKSTS in recent years.

In my first ITN television working days colour had just been introduced, 16mm & 35mm telecine were projectors facing fixed camera modules. 16mm newsfilm was shot on colour reversal stock with magnetic stripe. Most stories were edited and the sound dubbed onto 16mm separate magnetic for live TX, or occasionally to 2” quad or the later 1” VTRs for studio inserts. I did see wet gate being used on a transmission, but mostly it was archive film being transferred to VTR. I also saw a couple of B+W telerecordings to 16mm.

Later all film live TX was only from two Rank Cintel machines. Projectors were used for VTR transfers only. ITN was also an outside facilities house for extra income. When ENG replaced film completely, the ITN in house Rank film lab closed. Myself with the 5 remaining projectionists (from a complement of 13) became all format video and telecine transfer operators.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

There was a documentary on early German television shown here a couple of years ago. It looked very interesting, but unfortunatly I only saw part of it. I'm not sure how the technology compared to what the BBC had, but in terms of the way it was used, I think Germany may well have been the world leader in television at that time, yet today this work is almost unknown.

Does anyone have information on early, (1930s), television in other countries?

The BBC also used the Mechau system, but later, and in the studio building, not on location. Take a look at this site:

Early BBC Television

The Mechau is in section 15, it was used both for telecine, and for film recording.

The BBC did not completely leave Alexandra Palace until about twenty years ago. At a similar time, there was a major fire, which destroyed much of the building, (the second in its life, it burned down the first time very soon after it opened). The exhibition halls, at the other end of the building, were reduced to little more than the walls, but were restored. The parts of the building used by the BBC were not destroyed by the fire, but apart from the offices in the corner of the building under the mast, are now fairly derelict. The mast is still there, and is still in use.

A few months ago, I was able to visit one of the studios, it was very small, no equipment remains, but there is a display of television sets. There is also a theatre, disused since the '20s, which was later used by the BBC for storage. We were able to look into this, but not to enter it, as the building is unsafe.

There was talk of a television museum being set up in the building after the BBC moved out, but it never happened.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-23-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NFL Films was using VNF exclusively until the mid-1990s when they switched to color-negative stock.

Now, I believe that most VNF film is used by NASA and the US military, since their lab facilites are set up for it and it suits their needs. Sometimes, VNF is used to give a certain unusual "look" to music videos and feature films (I'm pretty sure that "25th Hour" contains many scenes which were shot on reversal film which was cross-processed to produce a color negative).

I'm not sure if it's still available, but Kodak also used to sell something in the early- and mid-1990s called "Primetime," which was color negative stock without the orange masking that one finds on "normal" negatives. Apparently it worked (works?) beautifully for TV work, but couldn't be printed.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, did you ever know either Ted Church or Harry Court?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: