Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CAT 280 SR cards

Author Topic: CAT 280 SR cards
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Dolby 360 units which I think are mainly used for recording purposes. The units have two A-type and two CAT280 SR noise reduction cards. Are these CAT280 cards the same as the CAT280T's? I currently have an SRA5 adapter hooked up with a CP55 and the SR cards only say CAT280, not 280T. (they have a sticker that says modified for playback only) So, would the CAT280's from the Dolby 360 work in a Dolby Cinema Processor?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-22-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, Yes, they should work. My guess would be that it is just a different revision of the card. contact Dolby Labs by phone at 415 558 0200. They would be able to answer that for you.

Josh

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only difference between a Cat. 280 and 280T is that a little jumper in the back of the 280T has been cut to make it suitable for cinema processor use. Don't know the number of the jumper, though, or what will happen if you don't cut it....

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Cat.22 card inserted into a cinema processor is automatically in decode mode. A stock Cat.280 on the other hand ends up going into encode mode...in other words making it "more" SR. Cutting the jumper turns it into a Cat.280T and forces it into decode mode. If you do this yourself please be so kind as to affix a label stating "Modified for playback only. Model Cat280T"

I learned this the hard way once during the early days of SR when I borrowed Cat.280's from a recording studio to plug into ye olde CP50.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Cat280's are the same as Cat280T's except the jumper has been cut on the 280T.

Can someone be more specific about where the jumper is on the Cat280 and the proper way to modify it? Thanks.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the difference between these cards, and the Cat. 350 SR cards, used in the CP-65, etc. I believe that they are not compatible, is this correct?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall they're the same only different. I believe the important difference was that they do not require as many supply voltages, but I may be misremembering. And then obviously different connections and compatibility with the Cat.300 SR/A.

One of my favorite Dolby questions (ranking right up there with why 3--not 2, not 4, not 6, NR slots on the CP.100) is why the CP65, as orginally implemented (before the 222 pretend-SR/A card), when not equipped for 70mm) came with a 222 card and two Cat.350's (for 2 channel's of A and two of SR), and switched to Cat.300's (for 4 channels of A and two of SR) in the 70mm version. It would have been cheaper to fit the non-70mm version with two Cat.300's (2 channels of A or SR) and add the 222 card only on the 70mm version. Yes, the audio routing doesn't work that way but it certainly could have been in the original design. I did get answers to all of these things but I don't want to repeat what I was told privately.

Edit: Typo on card number fixed

[ 10-15-2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve -

It does seem that there are two channels of redundant A type in a standard CP65SR however I'd hazard a guess that Dolby has the 222SR in mind from the beginning (which is no doubt cheaper than a couple of 350s). All but the very first CP65s can directly take a 222SRA - switching wouldn't have been done with this incorporated if a suitable card hadn't been envisiaged..

Curious about your comments on the CP100 - how come no meter card for the surround ? How do you set levels for mag (am FAR too young (!?) to have ever run these with 70mm however have looked after a couple in "move down" screens with 35 only..)

Interesting to read the CP100 manual again (I know, sad !) - theres a discussion on using the CP100 as a Digital "B" chain - god forbid !

Did you need 3 x external frames to run a CP100 with format 42 ?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For format 42 one added 1 360 NR frame to hold the NR card for the surround channel and a eq module for the surround
The two EQ cards for Lc and Rc were replaced with bass filter cards
For format 43 the SA5 was invented that held NR cards for the Lc Rc and S and eq cards for P and Q and the switching

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digging this old post up again. [Smile]

Does anyone know exactly which jumper to cut/make on the 280 to modify it for playback only?

Thanks,
--Chris

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-14-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will either be a bare wire or one with a white insulator....It is located right next to the "A" designator.

Steve

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont some CAT280's have a switch on them? is this a DECODE/ENCODE switch instead of a link you cut.
The switch didnt seem to do anything when I had a couple.

Darren

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 05:48 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
quote:
Can someone be more specific about where the jumper is and proper way to modify it
I asked a similar question on 08-25-2003 (currently page 11) John Hawkinson's reply should help you. Details of it's function is also on the thread.

If you require more detail, there is a short wire running from pin 1. This is the bottom pin (when the card is mounted vertically) in a group of four. This wire connects pin 1, and this pin connects also with R853. On mine, there is a letter D next to the jumper wire on the inner face of the PCB.

Because this jumper wire is next to one of the pins, it is near the edge, so is accessible even though the jumper may be mounted on the inner face of the PCB.

I think the switch relates to the recording mode (encoding) which is disabled when you cut the jumper.

A careful snip did the trick for me and the results are great.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks. Was looking for a good description of the location... I get paranoid when cutting stuff. [Wink]

--Chris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: