Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS problems in Gods & Generals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS problems in Gods & Generals
John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 3 prints of Gods & Generals - 2 of which are playing in DTS houses. On BOTH of the DTS prints we had identical problems with reels 2 & 8 - the DTS keeps falling out. Basically it looks like both reel 2 & 8 have problems with the time code as the reader barely seems to read it. On the reels before and after it there are no problems. Considering both prints have the same problems - was there a problem with the master and would a replacment reel even help? Any other people have similar problems with G & G tonight? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-21-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't run it yet. By chance, are the print numbers close together?

Moving to FHF.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:23 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - I guess it should have been in FHF... its been a really long day. Yes our prints are 3178-3180. One of them is in Dolby EX so I dont know if that one had the problems, but the 2 running in DTS did.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Flip prints tomorrow and see if the third copy plays ok in dts.

The print I assembled tonight had tears every few sprocket holes and was quite noticeable during buildup. Looks like there was a burred sprocket in the printer. It affected every reel. Won't know if it will affect projection or sound tracking, but I've seen it before and it's never affected it.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-21-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hazzard a guess then that they were all printed from the same negatives, and that either the printer became 'mis-aligned' for a bit or that all prints from that negative are bad.

I'd see if you can get some replacement reels.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Carpenter said one of the prints of "GODS AND GENERALS" he received is in Dolby EX. According to the Dolby and another site I get my weekly information on sound formats, neither list this film as an EX release. If it is and the mix is a good one, it should make the experience of watching this much anticipated film even better.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 03:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I stuck my head in on a dialogue scene and in an auditorium where dialogue normally sounds very good, this mix sounded like [puke]

(It could've been a dubbed scene though.)

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off-topic, but I didn't want to add to the chatter in Feature Info:

The intermission on our print had one frameline at the beginning and one at the end. In the middle, it had a tiny dot on the image area at each frame line. Unfortunately, there was a lab splice in my intermission as well. About 4 minutes into the silence, the audience is reminded that a movie is playing with a nice "crack!" (analog house) [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Kenny Thies
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Kenny Thies   Email Kenny Thies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having problems with Reels 9 & 10. The timecode LED flashes on and off and even drops out of digital. I've decided to just go to analog since there isn't a very high attendance here.

Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had similar problems with reel 8 bouncing in and out of digital on one of our prints. And to expand on Brad's comment, the mix isn't the best in the world. The high-end doesn't sound very crisp to me, but admittedly, I'm WAY too picky about sound.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What lab printed the defective time code
Maybe it is about time to start "outing" bad labs for time code problems getting a replacement reel after the fact impacts the opening weekend audience that is the bigest numbers for any release

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-23-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can report the SRD track plays fine and dandy. [Big Grin]

Gordon, it was printed at the Tech lab overseas.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure your readers are calibrated for 4 volts DC.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Kenny Thies
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Kenny Thies   Email Kenny Thies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

Mine is right at 4v. The first 8 reels play without a flicker. As soon as the 9th reel hits, flicker away of the time code light and goes through reel 10.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WB thought that our problems with reel 2 & 8 was caused by bad DTS discs, which we all knew to not be the case. But we tried that today after they shipped us new ones and same thing--- perfect timecode reading in reel 1 and at the reel change - in & out time code on reel 2. Hopefully we will be getting replacement reels soon?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: