Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ushio Lamps

Author Topic: Ushio Lamps
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment I have got a Ushio UXL16SCB (1.6Kw) in a Cinemeccanica CX21H lamphouse, The next lamp I am going to buy is the UXL21SCB, 2kw short. Does anyone out there use this type of lamp and if so any comments [Smile] Cheers
The equilivent Osram lamps are XBO1600WHSC and XBO2000WSHSC

[ 02-20-2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: William Phillips ]

|  IP: Logged

Duncan Smith
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Duncan Smith   Email Duncan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I used Ushio lamps in the very same lamphouses in a previous job and had no problems with them at all, although we never ran them beyond their guaranteed hours.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else [Smile] [Smile]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All should be sweet, however watch the anode lead on some - if longer can hit the dowser and cause a hell of a spark. If you want a really good lamp, look at the Superior Quartz SX20008 - we've been supplying these instead of the XBO2000SHSCs for a while and have shot ourselves in the foot - the damm things never die ! Have clients (with CX21H lamphouses) reporting 4000 hours - great for the cinema, not too good for the lamp supplier - still, would rather have a happy client than a full belly or an educated child !

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go on Ken, surely you can come up with some comment on the "full belly" thing, or even the education of my offspring.. Consider it a challenge... (!)

Cork Screwing forever !

Peter

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duncan,

Are saying at 1500 hours (or the guaranteed hours) you simply replaced the Xenon bulb no matter how it was performing??

Surely that like replacing the motor in your car after warranty period. Crazy surely.

I admit to running bulbs up 4000+ and finally submitting to replacing after I could not stand the slight flicker, or got ONE complaint.

I'll even keep a bulb with 4000 hours on it, if it is not discoloured and only has a slight flicker. Thing is that bulb might do another 1000 hours in another lamphouse without a problem. I think it's got to do with gravitity of the earth, magnets and 'what hell lets try a used emeregency bulb'

We are only allowed to have one NEW bulb on hand, so a few old 'not too bad' ones are handy. (Though 'store' can supply more in about an hour, I LIKE that)

Bill.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally pull my lamps out at the guarntee hours, saying that I have been leting them go over recently. The most I have run is 2100h on a Osram XBO1.6kHSC.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter that would be too easy.... I prefere a challenge which is exactly what I've got now.

As for the belly.... I did hear its expanding. But then I should talk.

Regards.

Duncan Smith
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for Duncan Smith   Email Duncan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,
yes I am saying that we'd only run them to guaranteed hours. What I didn't mention was that it wasn't my decision to do that, I wasn't chief back then. Now that I'm the boss, I do run them as long as I can but I still wouldn't go overboard with the hours as if one blew on me it would be a false economy. If I had to refund all the punters or replace a mirror it would cost more than the savings. My lamps tend to go through a lot too as some may have seen from a previous post of mine. Running changeovers and press shows etc has them on and off a lot throughout the day. Paradoxically they take around 12-18 months to reach their guaranteed hours at the moment anyway and with the shonky ventilation I have they need hoovering out from all the London pollution and dust that gets blown into the lamphouse and onto the bulb every so often. As a final thought, I've never experienced an exploding bulb before and hope I never will, reading some other posts it seems that the bulbs become more prone to this as they get used over hours and the health and safety of my staff is more important than anything, so I don't risk it too much. (I'm not suggesting you do either, you probably have your own best practice and it works for you). [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: