Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CinemaScope Lense

Author Topic: CinemaScope Lense
Al Chaney
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Al Chaney   Email Al Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to add a Cinemascope lens to my Century C projector.
My prime lense is a Wollensak 2 3/4" f/1.9 Cinema Raptar projector lens. My screen is 16ft. wide and my throw distance is 40ft. Can someone tell me which cimemascope lens can I use, where can I find one, and what can I expect to pay?

Al

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al; assuming that 2-3/4" is your flat lens, that matches with the diemnsions you gave with a picture height of something like 6-1/2 feet with a 12ft wide picture. The scope lens focal length should be around 105mm -- between 4 and 4-1/4". That will fill a 6.5 x 16 screen with minimal cropping.

Pat

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-18-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expect to pay from $100-150 for an old no brand lens to perhaps $1500 for the finest new anamorphic. Naturally if you go the latter route you're not going to want to attach such a top quality lens to the prime lens you describe or others of that caliber.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to Schneider's page
http://www.schneideroptics.com/software/
and download the theater design software you can figure out all sorts of neat stuff. And... it's free!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have several choices...
Judging from your prime lens, you aren't going to buy a new integrated anamorphic as this would be well over $1000.00.
A standard anamorphic adapter stretches the picture horizontally so you would also need a second backup lens, about twice the focal length of your prime lens but the Scneider lens calculator referenced above will give you the right size. This is the easiest operationally as you would be switching complete lenses to change formats.
The last approach is to attach a reverse anamorphic adapter to your existing prime lens. This shrinks the picture vertically, the width remains the same so no second prime is needed. This is a pain operationally unless you have the space and bracket to mount the adapter as a swing-away or other method. having to screw it on to the prime every time would mean finding a way to set the angle or adjusting it visually on screen at the start of every scope film.
What I can't say for sure is whether a normal anamorphic adapter can be simply mounted backwards and work as a "reverse" way. My morning brain suggests "probably" but I've never actually tried it. If it does work (and someone here knows) that would be the most economical approach, used normal anamorphs are not too expensive - new reverse ones are.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who says it was a fairly regular practice to reverse the anamorphic for drive in use. Jack probably has reference to that

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reversing one and it does work. The one I tried didn't have threads at the "front" and would need a strange adapter ring at best if it did... but I think this would be the best approach if he wants the same width picture. One could find a way to attach it.
There's a Kowa anamorphic complete with 6.5" backup and a lens ring (looks like a 4 incher) on Ebay now at $10.00. (Hopefully that doesn't go against the "no Ebay links" rule [Smile] )

Neil McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Neil McGovern   Author's Homepage   Email Neil McGovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After suffering from buying the wrong size lenses a few times, we now simply call up the company we are buying the lens from and tell them our measurements.
It has the added advantage of if the lens is incorrect, we get a free replacement!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: