Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Finding AC Ripple in a Rectifier

Author Topic: Finding AC Ripple in a Rectifier
Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What’s the best way to see if you have AC ripple coming off of your rectifier. Can you use an Oscilloscope?

Equipment Used:
Rectifier: Kneisley M95rtx2x1
Lamphouse: Xenex L-2730

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The safest way is to let some of the direct "spill" light from the lamphouse fall on a photocell with about a 500 ohm load resistor, and observer the output of the photocell on an oscilloscope. The cell's output should be some DC steady state voltage, with any ripple in the light output superimposed.

See page 18 of the Osram publication "Technology and Applications, XBO Theatre Lamps" for the technique.

Unless you know what you are doing, trying to measure current ripple by directly connecting a scope to the line (e.g., across the ammeter shunt) is potentially dangerous [Eek!] . "Clamp around" current meters can measure RMS AC on a line carrying high DC current with ripple, but may be fooled by irregular waveforms.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kneisley rectifiers are usually very good at having little or no AC ripple.
Quick, semi-accurate way to check:
use a true-RMS multimeter and check the DC voltage then the AC voltage across the DC leads. (connect your leads AFTER the bulb is lit) The AC measurement should be less than 1% of the DC measurement.
You can also use a scope across the ammeter shunt AFTER the bulb has lit, but If you don't know what you are doing you could say goodbye to your scope.
Why do you want to check AC ripple? Is your image flickering?

*Warning to anyone reading this: Connecting any measurement device (multimeter, scope, etc) to the DC leads and then igniteing the bulb is an excellent way to destroy (possibly violently) your scope/meter and possibly injure/kill yourself.
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T DO IT! THIS STUFF CAN KILL YOU! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] *

Jonathan

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, that is noteworthy. I never tried that, but it really makes sense. [Smile]

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

I once tried measuring the a.c. ripple from my recifier, since my image was flickering. Imagine my dismay when the extract momentarily cut out, causing the contactor to jump out and then back in again. Luckily, at the time I had just got up to retrieve my cup of coffee from the rewing bench as the extract came back on again and my brand new 200MHz 'scope was blown to smithereens welding my leads to the anode and cathode clamp. £900 quid down the drain. Hey ho. This is one of the reasons why I still insist on drinknig coffee whilst on the job!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I "toasted" a nice digital multimeter exactly the same way you did. [Frown]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. I was working on one of those horrible little 900-watt Irems, the ones with the orange covers that are such a bitch to open. The bulb would ignite and then go out right away. Diodes checked ok.

I decided to observe the voltage just after striking. I reasoned that the .1uf cap across the DC output should shunt the r.f. fairly well and cause no damage to my meter right?

Wrong.

Had to use one of those cheap minature V.O.M's for a week or so while I waited for my Fluke to comeback from the repair depot for repair and re-calibration.

I am wondering why you suspect ripple. A check of the bulb should give you a pretty good indication, especially if you notice that the anode or cathode is oddly deformed.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon's method works well enough to measure voltage ripple and indicate whether you have a problem or not. Just don't leave the meter leads attached to the DC output longer than necessary just in case the system does decide to have another ignition cycle. Goodbye meter.

You can do a similar test of current ripple with a clamp on AC/DC ammeter. Ripple is the AC component in the DC reading. If you read 100A DC and 5A on the AC setting, your ripple is around 5%. This is a quick test if you have the gear handy.

Pat

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot for the help guys. Yes the image is flickering and the anode and cathode do not look odd. Just trying to track down the problem. Once again thanks alot for the help. I will report back to tell you the results, and promise to be very very very careful [Eek!]

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet you lunch you have a bad diode or a bad contactor.
Jonathan

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-08-2007 11:29 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1517 days since the last post.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 11:29 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Bartow
Quick, semi-accurate way to check:
use a true-RMS multimeter and check the DC voltage then the AC voltage across the DC leads. (connect your leads AFTER the bulb is lit) The AC measurement should be less than 1% of the DC measurement.

Is this measuring at the shunt or the DC leads coming from the rectifier?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AC ccurrent ripple and inrush need to be measured across a calibrated standard so accurate results can be obtained. Osram used to loan out a calibrated current shunt standard for technicians to use. You need a storage scope to measure inrush current to any degree of accuracy. In many cases over the years I have found inrush current to be more the culprit than ripple in short lamp life. There are rectifiers out there that have inrush anywhere from X5 to X10 the operating current of the lamp. Excessive inrush is also easy to cure with a length if nichrome wire in series with the main capacitors. Short out the nichrome wire after ignition to keep ripple low.

FWIW I use an ORC inrush/ripple meter kit to do my tests. On the inrush function it has a peak hold circuit to enable the peak DC inrush current to be displayed on it's analog meter.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: