Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Drive Motor Diode (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Platter Drive Motor Diode
Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have had some platter drive motors repaired on our strong international platter system (ap 3 auto programming platter), generally they just cleaned the armatures and replaced bearings and brushes, but they came back with poor results so the motor repair shop noticed they have diodes and suggested we bypass these. so my question is what are these diodes in for? the older units did not have diodes.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-10-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the reason for the diodes in the Potts/Strong/CFS/ORC 'vacuum cleaner' motors is because the motors are DC-operated, and will not function on AC.

Another theory that dawned on me just now is that the diode might be there to prevent the motor from becoming a 'generator', the diode would block the DC current coming from it.

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT remove or bypass the diodes! The motors would be very sluggish, and will not have any torque to speak of if you did.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron as far as i know it is ac and Paul, we bypassed a diode on just one motor (experiment) and it has never worked better. i will refrain from any other (experiments) as i await more responses.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, that is interesting. I have no explanaion for that. The thing I know is that if, the doide shorted out (the same as it being bypassed) the platter would grossly under-feed. Try that on payout....and see what happens.

It'll probably work on take-up, but it would not surprise me that if you have a fast starting projector, the elevator might hit bottom before the inertia on the take-up platter is overcome.

But since you raised my eyebrow on this, I'll proof it for you on my CFS machines in a few days. Meanwhile, I still stand firm on my orginal recommendation.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Paul on this. The diode is required to provide a half-wave pulse to improve starting torque on that motor. I'd be really surprised if performance improved without it.

Pat

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-10-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way that I can see removing the diode not adversely affecting operation is if the deck is timed really 'fast'.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...and that in itself can cause some very nasty problems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also remeber that the take up and feed out speed are all based on the same variac output as a base so timing will be a mess without the diode

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it looks as if we will be removing the diodes anyways - and yes our platters timings are "all over the map", so it concerns me, i have mentioned this and was more or less ignored but at least i tried. the method used for timing platters here is to replace the drive motor prior to show and adjust as the movie plays!!! it is good to know the information you have all sent for future reference, much thanks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A word of caution if you are part of a circuit before you modify anything get permision from the service engineer of your theatre

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-12-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only what Gordon said, but keep in mind you could "over-voltage" the components which could shorten the component's life, especially the electronics in the pay-out heads.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon i guess the projectionists in charge have told me that our theatre tech. had recommended that we do this!? Paul, the projectionists in charge told me that economy is much more important so to burn a motor out ma [Confused] [Confused] kes much more sense!!!!? gee, i feel so ignorant.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be concerned about the variac being damaged as the current load will be higher on ac than 1/2 wave dc

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-12-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, if it were me, I would just flat not do it. There is absolutely nothing to gain, but the chance of damaging the equipment is very high. Gordon is correct with his assessment.

Spend a buck to save 2 cents. That's what is going to happen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: