Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tap People Let go..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tap People Let go.....
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-16-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard today from reliable sources that the majority of the TAP personel(between 15 and 20) were let go. Don't know what this may mean other than the folks at Creative Labs are getting more creative....
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K-mart is not the only one with problems....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-16-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, its been a long time since they did any TAPPING in Utah! Kind of sad though...film will only go downhill quicker without them......
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-16-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No surprise. We all know that TAP hasn`t been exactly on of Lucasfilms major areas of focus for a long time. Maybe they think with the advent of digital cinema (remember they think it is about to happen, or should), the program is no longer needed? Although, if I wanted to push a new presentation form, I would retain these experienced people to see to it that it gets introduced properly. After all, the whole sound alignment doesn`t really change. Somehow it all doesn`t make sense to me, but then, I am not a genius...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny. Just yesterday I thought to myself, "I haven't heard anything about THX in a while". I wonder if THX-certified auditoriums will soon be a thing of the past (or at least the trailers that are often played in such auditoriums).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-16-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very sad news, both for the TAP people and for the general film-going public. Hopefully some other organization will attempt to offer quality-control services to an industry which desperately needs them.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 11:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, maybe Lucas Video Ltd. is AFRAID of TAP. I mean, how humiliating would that be.....having your own tappers telling you that your digital presentations suck? Better to just let them drift quietly off into the sunset rather than screaming in your ear: "Your STAR WARS III - REVENGE OF THE CLONES that you insisted only play in DLP theatres, looks like crap." Ole George will have none of THAT.

[Smile]

Frank

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If this rumor is true, then this is truly sad news. Lucasfilm had a quality team working for the TAP division.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 03:33 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And have you seen how the THX website front page now focuses on non-professional applications?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who needs a THX certified system in their car?

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard this past tuesday (January 14) THX had a huge downsizing and let go most or all of their field techs go also. They are going to hire those techs out as IC from now on? [Confused]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The THX WWW site only displays a blank white page after loading using Opera. With IE, it works. It looks like their WWW design team is as diligent as their THX theatre auditorium certification program. I dont' think they ever revisit a theatre after initial certification to be sure things are maintained, do they? It's funny that THX of all entities would have a WWW page that is only designed to work with IE.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ron Lacheur said: who needs a THX certified system in their car?
If only Tex could fix your engine when it doesn't start [Roll Eyes]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-17-2003 11:21 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say what you want about George and his misguided DLP crusade. The fact remains that THX made an enormous contribution to improvements in commercial cinema presentation quality and sound technology in particular. The downsizing of THX is a direct result of failure of exhibitors to support them. That's somewhat understandable, given the overall improvement in sound quality that digital provides -- Who needs the expense of THX certification if you have a well-designed digital audio system? Or so the bean counters probably think anyway.

Thank you THX. [Cool]

[ 01-17-2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-17-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, David, although I don't think George Lucas's digital projection aspirations are misguided. He's always been very progressive. Thanks to his foresight, we had the explosive growth of Dolby Stereo in the 70s - everybody wanted to play Star Wars in stereo, and every filmmaker wanted their project to sound as good. He also broke ground with Sprocket Systems, bringing digital audio to movie production. He's the underwriter of THX and the TAP program (the latter of which, I am proud to have been one of the first group of).

And let's not forget the creation of ILM, which raised the bar for visual effects in the 70s, and brought digital effects into large-scale use in the 90s.

No, I cannot fault George Lucas for constantly pushing the envelope, consistently topping himself, and advancing the state of the art in movies; often in spite of the industry at large.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: