Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mothballing Projectors

Author Topic: Mothballing Projectors
Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just inherited the contents of an old 3-plex (changeovers + 1 platter) that I need to get out before the wrecking ball swings. I am a computer geek - I know diddly squat about projectors & all this other stuff. I am hoping to get a few tips on how to dissasemble, transport, & store the equipment so I can either put it all back together or sell it with a minimum of trouble.

From looking at it, I see 6 or 7 major assemblies that each projector could be split into:

1. rectifier
2. lamphouse (christie 2000 & 3000 watt)
3. reel arms
4. projector (simplex XL)
5. lens turret (only on 3 of them)
6. soundhead + motor (4 simplex 5 star, 2 SH-1000)
7. pedestal

Does this sound about right? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? As to the rest of it, platter, automation, monitors, etc... I'm not even sure where to begin.

Thanks,

Matt

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

Are you looking at selling off any of this equipment?

I might be interested. Please send me an email if you are.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part you are correct.
For the projector, remove the lenses, and the soundhead fly wheel. Other than that just take the whole thing (proj, sound head, turret, and motor) off in one piece.
Lamphouse, remove the bulbs (wear the armor if you've never done it before, and get some help from someone who knows how) before removing.
Rectifiers, careful, they are vary heavy.
Pedestal, also very heavy.
Platter, can be disassembled for transport, what make of platter is it?
What sound equipment is there?
What make of automation?
Make sure that you get any rewind benches, splicers, misc booth supplies, spare bulbs, reels, make-up tables, spare parts etc.
You will need several strong backs and preferably a forklift to move a lot of that stuff.
Jonathan

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the booth stairs are narrow & twisty so I dont think a forklift is an option... I am not looking forward to lifting that stuff.

The platter is an old, old, Potts Alpha. Automation is Cinemation Mark IV electromechanical system. There is very little original sound gear left some small amps and a bunch of Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theatre" speakers and some A.L. surrounds that look like home stereo speakers, several with decayed gaskets so I doubt they're much use.

The only rewinders that fit the reels are a hand-cranked set. The powered rewinders dont work.

I would like to take the screens...whats the best way to take down & store screens?

Thanks,

Matt

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old VOT speakers and AL surrounds have a market. Although we got rid of our VOT's for newer stuff the 12 "home stereo" looking AL surrounds are still doing their job quite well with Dolby Digital.

Also, there are only 2 bolts holding the soundhead to the projector head, makes moving them much easier if they are separated.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Matt,

just curious, what theater is this equipment out of?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You will need several strong backs and preferably a forklift to move a lot of that stuff.
Very good point. I recently advised a friend who had been offered some Spectra 90s from a cinema that has just closed down and is being converted into a nightclub near here. She knew of another arts centre type place that currently only showed 16mm and video, but wanted 35mm capability. The stairs leading to the projection box were unlit, narrow, steep, damaged and strewn with rubble. Having taken one look at the place I advised my friend to get a professional firm of removers in if she was serious about taking the projectors, because I for one would not either want to attempt the job myself, or find myself on the receiving end of a lawsuit if I asked someone else to do so informally, who ended up injuring themself.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 07:18 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably can't remove the entire screens with just a ladder,so you will probably need to borrow a portable scissor lift that will fit through the doors-JLG & Genie are examples & also you need to properly secure the lift so that it won't tip or fall over when moving the speakers & screen onto it's platform.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 07:25 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,
Cinesonic, great looking mixing facility [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool] [Cool] [thumbsup] .

If the place is being torn down, is there an exterior wall of the booth that can be removed first for forklit access or crane access? Perhaps the same crane as the wrecking ball?
The automation: my opinion... RIP
The screens: are they silver or white? either way unclip (or untie) the bottom and both sides first. Then with many hands unhook the top and lower the whole thing onto the floor without letting the image side touch the floor, only the back. You can use the cardboard tubes from rolls of carpet to roll them up, just make sure that everything is CLEAN before doing so. Or you can contact a screen company to see if they will buy them from you (they can remove them too).
Same all of the rewinding equip. It can be fixed.
Just about everything there will be wanted somewhere.
Oh the AL VOT stage speakers: also very heavy.
Jonathan

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-16-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll probably want to drain the oil from the projectors and soundheads.

Most projector bases can be disassembled into at least three pieces (the heavy bottom part, the lightweight middle section, and the sort-of-heavy tilting part at the top), each of which is a manageable size and weight.

Look around the building (including the attic and basement) for any old film and be sure to grab it. If you find any nitrate (doubtful, unless the building was an old single that had been tripled), find out what it is and donate it to a reputable archive.

As others have said, grab the reels, splicers, rewind benches, spare parts, etc. You might want to take pictures before removing anything, partly as an aid to you when reassembling stuff and partly so you can contribute them to the Film-Tech picture gallery. [Smile]

Does anyone really bother with used screens? I had been under the impression that screens are basically disposable items and can't really be removed and re-installed in a different location without destroying the surface.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Lacheur wrote:
quote:
just curious, what theater is this equipment out of?
Well, I guess its no secret anymore...

Its the old Park Royal cinemas in West Van. I will be taking lots of video and pictures of the place, both for posterity and to help me remember how to put it all back together when the time comes. Hopefully I can get permission to contribute a few to the picture gallery at some point. I sure wish I had some pictures of this place as it was originally...its been renovated so much I would love to see how it was when it was built.

Now here's somethng I just thought of: what should I keep the bulbs in after I take them out of the lamphouses? I dont think I have the original boxes for them. I know they are pressurized, so I dont want them rolling around loose, but what level of padding and/or armour plating is necessary? if one does explode, will a cardboard box be sufficient, or do I need some sort of metal container?

As to the screens, I was planning to get some long lengths of pvc drain pipe and roll them onto it. I think it comes in long enough pieces.

Thanks.

[ 01-16-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Matt Hale ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: