Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Big Sky automation vs. Neumade Maxi-12 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Big Sky automation vs. Neumade Maxi-12
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do the Big Sky Series 1 and Neumade Maxi-12 automations look alike? Who actually makes them??? Same question has been haunting me on the Big Sky lamphouse electronic display meter panel and Neumade's version also. Is there actually any difference in these units?

I would like to see Neumade put a section on their website describing their automation units and cue detectors.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Big Sky and Neumade stuff are so similar they are interchangable! The Big Sky console/lamphouse panel display is a bit nicer in that it has status lights for the various interlocks.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DEFINATELY...Stay away from both of them! Go with something decent like the Kelmar Deluxe, or Ultimation. They are VERY RELIABLE workhorses and have tried and true cue detectors The Strong series(made by Eprad) is also good...CNA100, 150, and 200.
Fool around with what ever you want to, but there ain't much else out there in my book cept whats listed above.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CA21 will kill any of those you listed, Mark. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, no, no, no, no Mr. Mark. The CNA-150s I've played with were the biggest nightmare I have ever had to deal with. After doing a lot of grounding work they are finally running well for about 98% of the shows...but it's that other pesky 2% that makes me still hate them dearly. They are also not very operator friendly in programming and are lacking quite a bit in features. (I'm sure the CNA-200 satisfies that need, but I don't think I'll ever give it a chance after the CNA-150 fiasco.)

Go with the CA21 if you want quality, ease and features. If you need something basic, check out Kelmar (and products made by them with other manufacturer's names on them) and Component Engineering's stuff. To hell with everything else.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think componant ingineerings ta10 is really good.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've probably got about close to 100 CNA 100, 150, and Eprad Ultimation out there not counting all the Ultimations I installed in the Midwest. So few problems with with any of them I'd have to struggle to remember what the last problem I had with any of them was.
The build quality on Neumades stuff is horrible....the last Neumade stuff I installed in Indiana was a literal rats nest!!

Brad, I suspect that you have a major electrical issue in that building....if you have a proper ground there are never any problems. As far as the Kelmar Deluxe goes it jst good ole reliable....all electromechanical.
Joe, You can have the CA-21! It might work great, but what happens if the Aussie manufacturer goes belly up? I wouldn't sell something to a customer that hasn't been around in the field for a long time.

Darryl, I don't even classify the TA-10 as automation. You have to do so much to it to adapt it to different schemes that you may as well just build your own automation. Have you ever had to change the main board in a complicated detup....? Plan on spending ALOT of time doing that! You also have to move over any diodes and add-ons that were originally put in to make the theatre function. I've also had ALOT of failures of the power supply section in them although I do know that has been improved. The CE cue detector is quite good, and comes in 70mm size. But the FP-300 runs rings around it and has not needed any mods to work with estar film.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, we will have to agree to disagree. The CA21 takes the Strong stuff hands down. Let me put it this way, if you had CNA automations in a complex and they went bonkers on you, you would be flat out refusing to install them anywhere else too, regardless of any "electrical issues" that may or may not have been on that site. You know that is what would happen.

I don't think Pennywise will be going anywhere. I would be more concerned about Eprad. At least Pennywise and Christie gave full support of their product whenever questions or installation issues arose. Strong ignored most of my emails and phone messages and Eprad did not return calls at all. What a friggin' joke!

Putting product support aside, let's look at this.
  • Pennywise's computer interface is graphical and extremely easy to monitor the booth with, whereas Strong's is not. Heck, you don't even have to have a clock in the booth or schedules on the projectors (or in your back pocket) to run a CA21 booth.
  • Strong's computer converter box is $1200!!!!!!! Pennywise's uses a standard RS485 card for $75.
  • You can see the entire program of cues with the CA21. Can't do that without cycling through screens and looking for flashing lights on Strong's automation.
  • You set the TIME to start on the CA21. On Strong's CNA automations the projectionist has to do some math, then set a COUNTDOWN time. (And we all know occasionally mathematical errors happen and result in a show starting at the wrong time.)
  • You know exactly what is going on with Pennywise's status panels. With Strong's panels, you pretty much only know if it is running or not.
I could go on and on, but even with just these few examples, Strong's automations (at least the CNA-150) sucks in feature comparison, reliability and most importantly...product support from the manufacturer.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-15-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought, Brad, that you enjoyed that ever friendly programming interface of the CNA-150. [Big Grin]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Big Sky build the automation for Neumade or did Neumade build the automation for Big Sky? They look so much alike.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-16-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Big Sky was started by former Neumade folks. Apparently they took ideas with them to the new company. Reminds me of Magni vis-a-vis Tektronix in the video waveform monitor world.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pennywise CA 21 will not belly up since Kinoton and other manufacturers, circuits such as Hoyts, and International distributors handle their product.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-16-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Richard, there were a lot of Rank automations out there, too. [Smile]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The history of Rank business operations would make a good book [Wink]

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to think you'll see Strong and Eprad for a while as well...

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: