Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Isco Optic Lenses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Isco Optic Lenses
Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some Isco-Optic lenses for my screens, and I am having problems with focus and picture. I have an Isco-Optic Ultra Star Cinemascope lens with a flat screen. I'm having problems focusing the entire picture. It will either focus the top or the bottom, but not both. Also, when I play certain scope trailers, I get curved edges to my picture. I have run SMPTE film through my projectors time and time again to try to get them to focus and adjust correctly, but simply cannot get them correct. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've checked my projection angle and everything, the sides of the picture when playing trailers appears like this ) (

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the tips section there is an excellent piece on this subject. Try that first

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just during trailers?

It would make sense if the sides were like this / \

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem before but not with the sides of the scope trailers out of focus. Check the tension bands they might be to tight.
When ever the replace the tenstion bands this usully occurse

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2003 11:26 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any trouibles with ISCO lenses. Check your lamp alignment.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any trouibles with ISCO lenses. Have your eyes checked! [Wink]
Mark

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, I've double checked EVERYTHING. I've replaced the guides, checked the SMPTE, checked the level of the projector, and it still comes out ) (

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-14-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say just the trailers?
How about the feature?
What formats?
Every lense or just one lense?
Did somebody try to take apart the lense?

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both trailers and feature. I have two Isco Ultra Star HD's on two screens and two Isco Ultra Star's on two more screens. I don't have problems with the flat lenses, but the scopes have curved sides, and curved tops and bottoms. It's the wierdest thing I've seen. I've never had a problem adjusting a lens before these.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2003 02:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask your staff to see if someone has a digital camera that they could take a screen shot of this effect and upload it here so we can see. I really don't think this is a lens issue either. Isco makes damn good lenses.

Joe Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Morris   Email Joe Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will take pictures of the effect and post it so you can see it. Is there a difference in lenses for curved and flat screens?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2003 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you focused your lens properly ? That is...run RP-40 with the anamorphic distance ring set to infinity...use your projector's standard focus knob to focus just the horizontal lines . Then use the anamorphic's focus ring to bring the vertical lines into focus.

Next...what is the focal length of your lenses? The lens wants a constant throw and a flat screen will not provide that exactly...it is normal for a slight pincushion on a flat screen. Scope is more noticable since it is more extreme.

If you are using an integrated anamorphic lens, it is going to yet nastier still...all of the integrated anamorphics use 4-element anamorphic sections (with the exception of the 3 different sizes of ISCO blue star integrated).

Steve

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe; Steve has the best suggestion -- start from scratch and focus the anamorphics as he describes. There should also be a small instruction sheet that came with the lenses describing the practice.

While Integrated Anamorphics aren't my favorite thing, I have never seen an ISCO pincushion an image like you describe. Are you sure the screen is physically flat? Sure sounds like something else is off-kilter here.

Pat

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joe,

I am really confused here. I am under the impression that you have 4 screens. I understand that all of the flat images are fine although they are from two different style flat lenses.

ALL four scope images are pincushioned as you describe. Are all of the scope lenses identical?

Are these lenses a prime element with a spacer and then the scope (Anamorphic) adaptor on the front?

I have only seen this effect once and it was because the spacing tube was too long for the focal length of the prime lens. The proper tube restored the image. This would be especially true of short focal length prime lenses when used with too long a coupler.

What focal length are the scope primes? What focal length are the flat lenses?

KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: