Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Check out these speakers

Author Topic: Check out these speakers
David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am in negotiation to acquire some speakers from www.worldsbestspeakers.com

They will be tailor made to suit cinema, and the price is cheaper than JBL's.

Check out the subs, in particular the "Bladder Buster" (specs as below)

Enclosure Type
Sealed with Air Non-linearity Compensator.

Drivers
Six Proprietary 12 ohm 12" Long throw Woofers

One 27" Non-linear Compensator

Enclosure Material
37mm Medium Density Fibreboard

Amplification
1000 Watts RMS D-Class.

Frequency Response
12Hz to 200Hz +/- 4dB (90db filter cut-off below 12Hz)

Amplifier Features
Volume, Frequency cut-off adjust, Phase 0 – 180 Deg. Input, Output.

Remote Control

Dimensions
2000mm H, 800mm W, 400 D

Weight
167 KG!

Warranty
10 Years

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could sell you (06) JBL 4642A dual sub-woofers and amplification if you could accept (12) 18" woofers in 621KG of cabinets.. BASIC black and only 5 year warrantee [Cool]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-13-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What is there to "remote control" on a speaker?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't most speakers have a remote control? As in the amplifier. [Smile]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These specs are for the retail version. I won't require a remote, however it may come in handy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that it'll work very well in a large room such as a cinema. Very few home type speakers will work in cinemas as well as speakers that are DESIGNED to work in a cinema. I would be more inclined to build my own cabinets and buy the raw JBL drivers from a willing dealer the states...you'd be farther ahead in my experience...not just in my opinion!! As a midwest dealer I used to ship raw JBL, and Altec drivers to Japan on occasion. As far as power handling goes I would seriously doubt that the claimed power rating is continous....on a properly designed JBL(and other) system it can take thousands of watts continously.......all day long.....till your building falls apart......Home speakers are just that...home speakers. Also, what would you do for service if this company vaporized in several years. Speaker companies come.....and go by the droves every decade. There is however at least one VERY stable company in NZ, and that is Plinus. Their electronics is among the very best in the world...the company is also VERY stable. You could always use their amps along with your stereo processor but you'd better win the lottery first.
BTW: I also don't think that their cabinet material is very thick for a system with that much claimed output. Here in the States there are companies that use solid granite for their enclosures, 2" thick MDF for the bafffle, and cabinet sides. Several other companies are using a special composite material....
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being that you are south of the equator you might want to check out Krix they make excellent speakers

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea have info on Krix, JBL, Klipsch etc. Have a meeting with Arvus this week to see what they have to offer, will advise.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, as Mark said, stay with speakers that were designed for the cinemas.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 07:31 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Yes, 12Hz, but what sensitivity? Usually that kind of speaker has very low sentivity, under 90/85dB. In a medium theater would mean that you have to fill the space behind the screen with subwoofers... [Smile]

And, I fully agree with the others, stay with professional speaker, if JBL says that xxx speaker can handle 500W, be sure that can handle 500W. If an home speaker house says that its speaker can handle 1000W, 10Hz... I wouldn't be so sure of the results!!!

Bye!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2003 07:39 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, 12Hz, but what sensitivity? Usually that kind of speaker has very low sentivity, under 90/85dB. In a medium theater would mean that you have to fill the space behind the screen with subwoofers...
Yes, and it also means you have to fill your racks with amplifiers...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-17-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I become very skeptical when I see weird speaker designs. When someone points speakers in an enclosure up at oblique angles, they'd better have some very solid physics and test results to back that kind of unconventional design.

I once purchased BOSE 901 speakers the very year they first came out. I was young; I was naive. I got hoodwinked on the sleek, unusual new look and all that babble about bouncing sound off walls. The speakers impressed me in the showroom -- all that "airy" sound and all. But once I got them home and I REALLY started to listen them, that airy, bouncy, nonsense turned into a nightmare of listening fatigue, an indistinct stereo field, smeared instrument imaging and no freakin bass at all. A month later you would find me standing in front of them, cursing for hours without ever repeating myself. Finally, I purposely turned up all the low-end frequencies on the graphic eq and pumped 350w rms of a LabTech test record with thunder on it into each speaker, trying with all my might to make them feel as much pain as they made me feel. Three of the little wussy 5 inch cones in one box inverted and burst into flames. Yah, I could have been mature and just sold them, but the thought of hoisting these things on some other poor soul seemed to be unethical at its core. Blowing them up was MUCH more rewarding.

Years later when Consumer Reports was sued by Bose for reporting that their speaker's sound was indistinct and thin (thus causing Bose financial harm), I offered my first hand "ear-wittness" experience as a recording engineer to the veracity of the CR's unbiased evaluation.

All this to say, be suspect of bizarre speaker designs. There is a REASON decades and decades of speaker design and development by long-standing, reputable companies has never hit on the bright idea of aiming speakers at 45 degree angles to the ceiling or at right angles to the front radiators or any other of that esoteric, consumer baiting claptrap. As has been wisely said by the guys here, go with tried and true speaker design. Go with speakers designed for cinemas, not for some yuppy who wants to use his pyramid-like speakers to get laid (as is evidenced by the reference at their site as to how "good" their speakers look -- speakers don't need to look good; looking good won't make them sound good). They also claim that their "....engineers tested the design and then retested it again...." and my cynical mind added, "yah, and they STILL couldn't find out why they sounded like dog-do." [Smile]

Frank

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bose is a weird company. They do not publish any specs of their speakers.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-17-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a client long time ago use the 901 for surrounds in his 500 seat cinema which required 2400 watts of power to drive to 85 db. We replaced them with JBL 8340A with 500 ( out of 1000 available ) watts able to drive the room to the same output, with better low and high end.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: