Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Support Structures for Outdoor Cinema Screens

Author Topic: Support Structures for Outdoor Cinema Screens
Neil Walker
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Neil Walker   Email Neil Walker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I am new to this list and screen movies with portable 35mm equipment in country towns in South East Queensland, Australia.
Does anyone out there have any information about support structures for outdoor screens?

Thanks Neil

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen over the years, you can go either go Rigid Frame or Air Supported... Good examples of both can be found in the "PICTURES" section of Film-Tech

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Air screens are fine for their intended use.... portability.

However, they do require careful consideration when being setup, follow the instructions to the letter if you want it to be safe.... I know, I've seen it done badly and it is not something I'd want to be around if it takes off!!

They are also very heavy to roll up at the end of the day, so you need at least four or five people to handle the thing.

They can be secured with water ballest tanks or stakes into the ground..... again local conditions would dictate the best/easiest option.

If its going to be permanent then don't go for an air screen. If its going to be moved around a lot then an air screen is ideal. I've done a number of shows with an air screen and would say the planning and training of the people who are using it is crucial if an accident is to be avoided.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't reccommend then for windy places at all! You'd have to deflate its picture if a really bad wind came about...
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: