Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Just Married Wierd Start

Author Topic: Just Married Wierd Start
Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 01-13-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed a problem at the beginning of "Just Married" where there is a brief flash to white and then the image comes up way out of focus and seems to "pop" in?? I didn't set up this print so I have no idea if this was supposed to be there or not, but it freaks me out every time it happens and I have a good mind to go in and hack a few frames out to make it go away. Not trying to get flamed here on my first post, but ours is one of those places that generally leave a single reference frame on the heads and tails, and I am wondering if the guy who made this up left a chunk of the head on there or what. It looks extremely cheesy, and makes it look like the projectionist really screwed up. Is it intended to be this way or is this something I should edit out? Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the first thing on the screen the 20th Century Fox logo? And doesn't that flash white for a frame or two as the spotlight shines at you? I didn't build ours either, but I remember the guy who did build it saying that there was no attached trailer, so your guy may have cut it at the first frame with a picture which would cut off about 20 frames of black and the drum roll of the Fox Fanfare. If that's the case, then yes, that's cheesey. [thumbsdown] I'd go dig up the head of reel 1 and put it back together the way it should be. [Smile]

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-13-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. My print didn't have any attached trailers, either. The first reel begins with the 20th Century Fox Fanfare with CinemaScope Extension (never mind that it's not in scope....argh!). Someone must have removed part of the film after the leader by accident.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-13-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my memory serves me right, the first shot, after the fox logo, is supposed to be out of focus, and then "pops" into focus.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran a sneak of this print the week before its wide release, and it contained no attached trailer. We had to send it back to the depot.

Low and behold, back comes another print this week, with part of the fanfare track chopped off!! [Mad]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 01-14-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I fixed this last night. I was wrong about it being at the beginning of the movie though, it is at the beginning of the first trailer after the black leader - I can't even tell you what trailer it is because that movie is first in a series of 3 movies spaced 5 minutes apart. I hit start, verify framing, focus, sound, check the brain and split. Then we generally visit the auditoriums and booths during the performances and make sure everything is going well. This was right at the beginning of this trailer (some kind of thing that has a whole bunch of 2 colors of blue diamond shapes moving around at the beginning with some guy - there's a description for you!). Anyway - the guy who set up the movie left some junk from the head of the trailer on there - a few blank frames and some wierd looking stuff that almost looked like the MGM lion out of focus. I just removed it and everything is nice now.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the trailer you are referring to is Down With Love.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott pointed out: "The first reel begins with the 20th Century Fox Fanfare with CinemaScope Extension (never mind that it's not in scope....argh!)"

My God, is NOTHING sacred?! The CinemaScope angels will WEEP!

Frank

Carl Palko
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for Carl Palko   Email Carl Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I havent seen that go out of focus or anything. But I was a little upset that we recieved a fairly bad print of it. It was scratched, spliced, the whole nine yards. Its amazing that someone would be able to do something like that in just a couple showings. The scratches werent too bad, only a little in the beginning of r1 and the end or r3, nothing so bad that we needed a replacement.

Carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: