Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby or THX Trailer Placement. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby or THX Trailer Placement.
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering, for those that do film build ups, where in your preshow do you place your Dolby Digital or THX snipe? Right before the feature after the Feature Presentaion snipe? or somewhere before?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The policy at a company I used to work for was digital trailer (if applicable), THX trailer (if applicable), feature pres. snipe. My personal preference is for the digital trailer to go after the feature pres.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-12-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I prefer to see:
Feature presentation snipe,
THX trailer,
digital sound format trailer,
begin movie.

That's usually the way I would see things done in a lot of real high end movie theaters. Unfortunately, the trailers just plain get omitted in many places. Very often, I'll see the THX and digital sound trailers get placed before the attached trailers on a film print. Some theaters will even play the THX and digital sound before the rest of the trailers.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2003 03:09 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the order Bobby listed.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some theater chains that prefer to put the THX and digital trailers before their feature presentation logo. Yet at most of the theaters that do this, their trailers are VERY dirty or it keeps dropping out to analog.

I also prefer Bobby's method. Nicer way of getting you into a presentation of a movie than seeing a company trailer. [Wink]

Jason

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 01:49 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure youll find in the THX license agreement the THX trl has to go directly before the Feature Cert.
Ill check when i go to work again, but thats what I recall reading.
So i'd say Digital logo, then THX and then the Feature.

Darren

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local All-THX/Dolby Digital theatre plays Dolby trailer first, then coming attractions trailers, then THX before the picture starts.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren, that's the order they are in on the Laserdiscs and DVDs I have seen which have them. I very seldom see a film at the cinema which has a digital track, so I can't remember what order they put them.

How are the 70mm shows at York going?

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bobby's way, but I was trained that no trailers, snipes or digital sound trailers should go after the policy.

To be honest I hated to put on digital sound trailers. I hated pulling them off after we moved prints into a smaller house. On a thursday night we averaged 10 moves [Mad] . I worked in a 16 plex. Worked as in past tense.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-13-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allthough they are supposed to go between the trailers and the feature, this setup is very difficult to maintain in a complex where more than one sound system is used. Many projectionists omit the trailers all together for this reason. In this case, I prefer that the sound system snipes are placed before the rolling stock and trailers, so that they can be switched out easily. I would rather see them in that possition than not at all.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might take an extra minute to put them anywhere in the pre-show program. Split rings, sponges, and/or trailer cores, make this extremely fast and easy. Having to swap sound demos, etc. when moving prints shouldn't be an issue. Just like changing trailers isn't.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-14-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like using the sound format tags, but almost never do it in practice, since prints get moved often, digital tracks (or readers) become flaky and shows need to run in analog, and digital readers or cards get moved among houses for various reasons. It also doesn't really work in venues which don't have full-time projectionists for most of the week (where, even if the managers knew how to change out sound format trailers, they wouldn't bother doing it).

Add to this the fact that audiences (mostly) don't care and that Dolby/DTS/Sony/THX might get upset if the wrong logo played in the wrong format, and it just ends up being more trouble than it is usually worth in a typical multiplex environment.

I do use the sound format tags for "special" shows, screenings, etc., although I really wish that Dolby would come up with a better SR logo than "Temple," which isn't very impressive. I'd also like a tag which says "presented in glorious monophonic sound." When I do use the tags, they go immediately before the feature (usually with THX before the sound format).

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 07:42 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen,
The 70mm shows are doing well, both Lawrence of arabia shows sold out and spatacus did well too. I've got The RIght Stuff on 26th Janary which is a nice 35mm blow-up. Sound is fantastic on it.

The DVD's etc will have the THX logo before the feature as thats the licence agreement i would think. Going to check the THX paperwork when i remember at work next.
But im surrprised at all the sites that seem to play them where ever they fancy. Makes sence to play the logo before the feature in my opinion.

Darren

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the general theories here that in a multiplex without full time operators and multiple digital formats, it just isn't practical to use digital snipes. Also, any booth that has limited projectionist hours and multiple formats generally doesn't have the time to mess with it either. This is why I am in favor of ONE digital format used throughout a complex. There can be other formats "double stacked" if desired, but the theater should maintain one constant format on all screens.

I do believe Darren is correct that the THX license agreement states the THX logo must be the last thing presented before the feature begins. I have always followed this pattern:

Coke commercial
Shampoo commercial
Designer clothes commercial
What's coming to television this month commercial
New on DVD commercial
Car commercial
Army commercial
Another coming to television this month commercial
Another car commercial
Electronics commercial
Jeans commercial
Retail store commercial
Another car commercial
Nascar commercial
Teenage television show commercial
Video game commercial
Ridiculous "be nice to others" PSA
Moviephone
Policy
THX or sound logo
Feature

Note that I generally do not run both a THX and a sound logo, but in the rare instances when I have, I always run the THX last, per the contract.

If the theater does not have THX, I only run a logo if the theater has SRD, as the dts logos are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overplayed and outdated, and Sony will not send out free copies (of which no theater is willing to pay for).

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL brad.

I usually only use the digital trailers for bigger movies where I know that the print will stay in the theatre for 2 or more weeks like Lord of the Rings Harry Potter Spiderman etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: