Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 cards

Author Topic: CP65 cards
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

As someone will remember, I'm going to try an EQ to a my friend's theater (a little theater, not commercial) using not conventional tools (Pink Noise from PC, no cat 85c card, no Cat 64 extensions) so I need some tips from you.

1. Can I Plug/Unplug Cat 64 EQ cards without turn off the CP but just lowering to zero the volume?
2. I've read somewhere that there is an "optimal" position for trimpots that set the channel's gain. Like Cp500/650 (that are best at 70% if I remember correctly) is there an optimal position for CP65's trimpot?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. What "cat" means?? [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby "cat" #xxx equals Dolby catalogue #xxx.
Dolby processors usually handle the 64 cards being pligged/unplugged while hot, but don't tempt fate. The power switch is right there on the front of the cp65, please use it.
Is the RTA on the computer as well?
Jonathan

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon

Yes, the RTA is on the PC. But I made a mistake, the PN will be on a CD (not on PC). I'll check that the output level of that PN from that CD Player will be the right one.

Can I turn off the CP by "bypass" button without turn off amplifiers? Can set the fader to zero be enough? Just to avoid ampli on/off continuously...

Bye

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I ever do is flip to bypass and I have yet to see a power switch on the front of a CP65 Ideally for noise the output level should be 300mv at 50% mod

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, yes, I meant the bypass switch on the front of the power supply [Embarrassed]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 06:00 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

How can I measure 300mV at the ouptuts? 1Khz tone for channels and 100Hz subwoofer? Pink noise?

An Italian's Dolby technician said that 5 turns of the trimpot are the right solution. Is it right?

Bye

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the cat 85c on the out put with the fader at 7 should be set to 300 mv
A solution would be play dolby tone and set the out put of the center channel (when in stereo A) to 300 mv
The inject your pinknoise source and adjust it's level to match that output then do the rest of the channels

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 11:42 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What equipment is needed to adjust the output of each channel to 300mv? How do you measure this?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

Thanks for the useful tip!!

But how can I measure the mV of Pink noise? The usual RMS meter? I had a conversation with one of film-techers once about setting the level of PN. Is a "normal" RMS meter able to display true 20-20.000 response of the PN? Or should I need a special meter?

In other words, can I just connect my meter to the PN output and watch for "300mV"?

Thanks!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: