Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Universal Trailer Labels

Author Topic: Universal Trailer Labels
Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 04:44 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with Universal trailer labels? Just about every studio except FOX uses green labels for FLAT and yellow for SCOPE. For whatever reason, Universal trailer labels are the reverse of that. Is this intentional just to be different, or is this a mistake? There's been more than a few times while completing trailer changes that I'm in a hurry and I grab the wrong format. Do the colored labels reflect a set policy by SMPTE or is it just otherwise an agreed practice from all the other film studios?

-

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no SMPTE standard for labels used on trailers, certainly not the color of the labels. SMPTE 301M specifies labeling printed on projection countdown leaders, which are usually not used on trailers.

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff, consider yourselves lucky though, at least down there, you guys have different coloured labels distinguishing different formats. By the time they reach us in Canada, those labels are far gone (with some exceptions). They're all labeled in WHITE labels with the format sometimes quite narrowly labeled on the trailer label!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the titles crossed out?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-12-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. why black out the titles?

The two on the right are using TES' color-coding standard for the trailers they distribute. BV, Miramax, Dreamworks, Lion's Gate, MGM, Warner Bros. (who's trailers are handled by TES), Artisan, Sony, and a few other indies that have TES distribute their trailers use this color code.

Paramount uses white labels for both formats.

Fox uses the blue labels, Fox Searchlight uses either pink or yellow labels for both formats.

New Line/Fine Line uses green, white, or yellow labels for both formats.

Universal has used white, green, orange, and yellow for both formats. (Universal's trailers are distributed by the studio and not TES.)

-Aaron

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are the titles crossed out?
I usually just throw them in a box and pick trailers at random. Doesn't everyone do this? [Big Grin]

Actually, I blacked out the titles in this instance just to draw attention to the film studios. My point though is that if the majority of studios use the same system for colored labels, shouldn't Universal do the same to avoid confusion?

-Jeff

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it really sucks that they make you read those half inch tall letters that say FLAT or SCOPE.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-12-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if the majority of studios use the same system for colored labels, shouldn't Universal do the same to avoid confusion?
See my post above. Not all the studios use the green/flat and yellow/scope, only those trailers that are handled by TES do.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: