Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX R2 History (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THX R2 History
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone know some of the history of the THX R2?
For example:
When did THX start making them?
Does THX infact make them or are they outsourced?
Hand-built or mass produced?
Was there an R1?
How many of them exist?
How many versions of the software (I'm using 3.52R, is that the most current?
Any plans for an R3?
Any plans for a GUI version of the software?
And anything else you can think of.
Thanks!
Jonathan

|  IP: Logged

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know all the answers but I will answer the ones I do.

When did THX start making them?
?

Does THX infact make them or are they outsourced?
They are outsourtced.

Hand-built or mass produced?
I would not say Hand-built but they are not mass produced.

Was there an R1?
No R2 came from R2-D2

How many of them exist?
?
How many versions of the software (I'm using 3.52R, is that the most current?
?

Any plans for an R3?
The name will still be R2 but with a updated analyzer.

Any plans for a GUI version of the software?
?

Not much info but this is what I know.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company that made the original R2 went out of business so THX bought the rights to it and That Corp made them for THX (that corp is the offshoot of DBX)
The curent R2 software is v3.62 and the current recert is V3.60
I hope it never leaves the Dos domain as my old HP200LX runs it perfectly even when the laptop dies(Dos rules)(and if you can't handle a comand line don't own a computor)
There has been discusions with other companies to make one as I know Goldline has said they have been working on one

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-10-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, I thought OS/2 ruled [Confused] [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does but it don't run on the 6088 processor ina HP200LX

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-10-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JOhn said......

"Was there an R1?"

Sort of. There were a limited number of special mic multiplexers built that were used in conjunction with the Ivie PC-40 analyzer. There were pre-R-2 days. There are still some of those being used to this day.
Mark @ CLACO

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 02:40 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know whether the Countryman mics in the R2 are regular stock or custom spec'd? And what the Countryman catalog model number (or nearest equivalent) would be?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-11-2003 07:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The part number for the R2 countryman mics don't seem to match standard ones...they definately don't match the USL supplied mics.

They key to the R2 using the countryman mics is not the microphone but the fact there are software files to offset any microphone frequency response errors. The Countryman mics are not ruler flat. They do have 1/4" elements though and that is one of the properties that THX liked.

The original manufacturer of the R2 did not go out of business (God I hate when people make statements like that). It was originally made by Anchor Audio http://www.anchoraudio.com/
Anchor simply no longer makes the R2.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said...
"They key to the R2 using the countryman mics is not the microphone but the fact there are software files to offset any microphone frequency response errors."

Indeed, that is true but they also selected it because it is as close to having a mic element in free air as one can get and still be somewhat robust so that it wll last.....They claim that a mic with0ut any housing around it would be the ideal mic for the R-2.
Below is a pic of the inside of the analyzer......
Mark @ CLACO

-

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-11-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use my HP/Altec 8050A just for A chains & mag. What mic would one use with it? (More for verification than actual tuning which is best done with a multi mic setup.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, You can use any "calibrated", free field mic such as the IVIE mic. That would be good for doing both EQ and system balance, and the analyzer should be calibrated as well as the filters are all adjustable in that analyzer. Those used to come with an AKG 451 mic, but not sure which capsule it had. Thes mics have an extremely FLAT responce. A good calibrated mic would cost in excess of 1K new....I suggest checking E-bay for a used one.....
MArk @ CLACO

[ 01-11-2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone from THX told me they *may* have the new R2 ready to at least demo at Show West.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will they offer a trade up [Smile]

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

Do you experienced disconection problem between the analyser ant the computer ?
For me every 30 minutes, the latop display "Analyser don't answer" and I have to restart the PC and the R2.
I don't understand why THX don't made a setup programm running on Windows. It will munch easier to use it.

Bye,

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-12-2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean,
I've never experienced a disconnection problem on a regular basis. It does happen once in a while though....say, once out of about 6 theatres worth of eq'ing. However, mine will not connect when it has spent some time out in the cold, and I suspect that the crystal oscillators(there are two of them in the R-2) are pretty far off frequency when its really cold. After an hour or so of warming it back up to room temperature then it works fine. The worst problem I've experienced is when a carpet layer guy cut right through one of the mic cables! Ouch....had to finish the job with only three mics running......
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: