Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hugly Rack Wiring

Author Topic: Hugly Rack Wiring
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I would present to you some examples of sound an automation rack where the technician wo do the job, had a very BAD business to work like this. (Sorry for my english)
Let me show you:

[ 01-10-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Jean-Michel Grin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I thank you so munch to placed my pics on this forum. I don't understand what I did wrong before. Appologyses for the bad quality of theses pics, but I don't have yet a digital camera.
Ok, Some precisions about these pics:
-The first pic. represent the automation barrier wiring mounted at the back of the sound rack. maybe you can see a relay just hanging on is wires. All the installatin in this 3-plex is made the same manner! [puke]

-The second pic from the same Sound Rack show you the mains live power conections. For the installer it was munch cheap to fix a barrier strip like this, whithout any safety against accidental contact by the hand. At the right hand of the picture, are the barrier strip for the speaker connections.

-The thrird picthure represent these [bs] barcode that we use for the automation. Its better for the projectionist to stay close to the projectors, beceause this automation don't work anytime [Big Grin]

-The fourth picture show the backdoor (non-opérator side) of a Super Highligt console. This horrible mess are the electronic soft start for the projector motor, and the relay are for the electric douser open/close control and start-stop control for the automation. The problem is that no wire are protected: This mean if you close the door of the console, the cables could be damaged. The day on last december when my boss bought this multiplex the projectionist called me to repair the command. The projector wouln'd running. For luck only a relay was defective.

-The Last picture show a Backside of a CP 65. I hope to never have to deal with this stuff. all connections are [Eek!] (do you see what a mean) Can you immagine that a technician has made a bill of more than $ 10.000 to install 3 equiped booth like this ?

Steeve what do you mean about a job like this. A tech working like that should be fired up [Mad]

Thanks for your attention and wish me luck for the future !

[ 01-12-2003, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Michel Grin ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-10-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel, did your picture appear on the confirmation screen after you uploaded them?

Did you then COPY AND PASTE the text that looked like:

[ img]http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=1102&file=yourpic.jpg[ img] ?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

-

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD
Kill the bloody technician. What is that careless wiring. BUT. The audience does not care about the presentation of the booth rack but cares of what comes out to the auditorium. Ok he did not pay much attention to tidying the rack but what is the auditorium sound outcome? If the allingment was made like the racks then it would be sure as hell.
CIAO

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Demetris

i knew this Technician from my former Cinema.And i can tell you,the sound isn´t THAT great who comes out of the speakers.

Greetings from Switzerland Mike

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-11-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[puke] job security for the technician...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never forget all the cigarette butts I saw inside of the one rack at the Edwards 21 in Boise! Courtesy of none other than MTS.....Alot of folk are sure glad they're gone!
Mark

Jamie Sanson
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 05:12 AM      Profile for Jamie Sanson   Email Jamie Sanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Michel

It is a mess and totally unsafe. How did it past inspection? But the problem would be how to find what goes in and what comes out.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jamie,

The only safety, I mean should be the brain of the projectionist to keep with is hand off this horrible mess.
For the history, the first technician that comming to install these three booth made a lot of mistakes including the automation concept. Nothing is easy serviceable and everything was made to be the cheapest installation. I.E. the 6 projectors, in changeover operation was Monee mechanism, and the picture was too undsteady and out of focus, the boss from this multiplex as exiged from the installer to replace in the biggest auditorium theses [bs] by a simplex projectors.
The second tech who came from the far end of the country (more than 300 kilometers) stayed more than two complete weeks in this theater to fix all the bugs. An duryg six months comming two times per week to fixe all bugs.
At final a cheap equipement could cost a fortune [Eek!]

The only thing that I like in this multiplex is the masking of the screen. They work pretty well.
Bye,

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-12-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe these "Hugly" racks just need a hug? [Roll Eyes]

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: