Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » new lamphouse: questions and pics

Author Topic: new lamphouse: questions and pics
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked this up today, L.P. Associates, 500w. it also came with 2 Osram 500w xenon bulbs. The bulbs are said to be used, however they show no darkening; the anode looks brand new, and the cathode has almost invisible marks on the very tip. Are these good to go? The seller didn't know how many hours they had on them.

As you might have guessed, the mirror is currently living in a safe place while i clean this up. [Wink]

Neither the manual for the power supply or lamphouse are here on Film-Tech, If someone out there has one, maybe you could help me with the following questions.

For the power supply:
The info on the nameplate is almost completely rubbed off. There are 2 switches, one is "hi/low" and the other is a 3 position power switch. How are these supposed to be used?

For the Lamphouse:
This doesn't have a snood, does it mount right up against the back of the projector?
The lens on this is a single piece of curved glass, if touched i can move it back and forth, it isn't locked firmly in place. Is something missing?

Finally, i haven't tested this yet, What is the proper method to start? I'm guessing that I should power up the power supply, flip the switch on the lamphouse, then push the red button to light the lamp. correct? Any tips on how to align this thing with the projector?
 -  -  -  -

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-10-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I picked this up today, L.P. Associates, 500w. it also came with 2 Osram 500w xenon bulbs. The bulbs are said to be used, however they show no darkening; the anode looks brand new, and the cathode has almost invisible marks on the very tip. Are these good to go? The seller didn't know how many hours they had on them.
Try them out see what happens. Unless the seals have leaked out the gas they'll probably work.

quote:

For the power supply:
The info on the nameplate is almost completely rubbed off. There are 2 switches, one is "hi/low" and the other is a 3 position power switch. How are these supposed to be used?

I'd imagine that 'hi' is for 'regular' (full) current and that 'low' is for a lower current, 'standby' current for running changeovers, leaving the xenon burning when not actually projecting, etc.

The three position switch is probably and auto/off/manual switch for the rectifier/ignitor. I could be wrong though, as I've never seen this particular lamphouse before.

quote:

Finally, i haven't tested this yet, What is the proper method to start? I'm guessing that I should power up the power supply, flip the switch on the lamphouse, then push the red button to light the lamp. correct?

Pretty much. Set the switch to high and auto. Turn on the power supply. If the lamp doesn't light, it might not be an auto switch, try flipping the 3 position switch or press the red button briefly.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some important safety precautions you should follow, Dan.
I don't change Xenon bulbs so you should wait to hear from someone with a bit more experience, but:
  • Always make sure the lamphouse is sealed shut before you strike the lamp. Hopefully there's a safety mechanism so you cannot strike the lamp if the lamphouse is open. (don't defeat the safety).
  • Always let the lamphouse cool for at least 10 minutes after the arc has been shut off before openning the lamphouse. Xenon bulbs pressures increase from ~1-2 atm up to ~10 atmospheres while they're running.
  • When handling Xenon bulbs, always wear proper safety gear. I believe this generally means sharps-proof gloves, full face mask,and no exposed skin.
Remember, it's better safe than sorry!
--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 07:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even a small xenon lamp can be dangerous. Always follow xenon safety procedures, which have been discussed before in several threads on Film-Tech. The eyes you save may be your own. [Eek!]

Here are some links to information about xenon lamp safety:

http://osat-ext.grc.nasa.gov/gso/manual/chapter_26.pdf

http://www.sqpuv.com/high_safety.htm

http://www.ltilamps.com/Media/xe_tech_article.pdf

[ 01-10-2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-10-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appears to be the unit that was made for some dailies portable machines instead of the unit that was used for the portable Tokiwa; I remember setting some of these about 15 years ago for a feature film crew. You should contact L.P. Associates in Hollywood...Leonard and his staff are very nice people

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would wipe the envelopes with lens tissue and alcohol to make sure no oils are on the bulb from being handled without gloves. Once you have the bulb ignited you can tell by the light on screen what to do with the bulbs.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought the condenser lens you mention should indeed be mounted loose to allow for expansion. It's going to have to handle considerable heat causing rapid expansion and contraction on cooling.
In general condenser lenses are mounted loose.

From your pictures the lamp house looks complete so I would imagin its all correct. I would leave it well alone if I were you... it's very much a 'suck it and see' thing until you get some documentation on the lamp house.... just take care and listen to the safety notes already given. Just because you're using it at home and experimenting with it is no reason not to take great care especially as you are using lamps of unkown useage / history. You also have no idea how the lamps have been handled so take sensible precautions.... you only get one pair of eyes... so wear protective mask etc.

Regards Ken.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UpDate:
Thank you to everyone who posted.

However, things didn't turn out well. This was sold to me "untested" with a money back garuntee. Called the manufacturer to get all the info on it as to set up and usage.
Didn't work. Called them back, they think either the power supply is rotten or the ignitor is shot. [Mad]

Needless to say, I returned it.
Back to waiting for something better, and working [Big Grin] to come up for sale.

Danny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: