Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Drive-In Theatre - Parking Ramp Height?

Author Topic: Drive-In Theatre - Parking Ramp Height?
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a "standard height" for parking ramps at a drive-in.

Like the image shown below (from cinemaequipmentsales.com), we have our site plan for the Stardust deisgned with the "double ramp system"

-

However, we can't find any information that clearly shows a "typical" ramp height.

We've found on the net a diagram that must have been drawn many many years ago that shows a typical ramp profile - here's the link to Brad Light's Driveinworkshop (used to be Tim Reed's site)which shows the same detail.

Drive-In Theatre Parking Ramp Detail

You can see in the "Vertical Curve Detail" in the graphic, it gives vertical elevation dimensions of 0, 3/4, 2 3/4, 6 1/4, 11, 17 1/4 spaced at 2'-0" intervals over a 10'-0" distance.

My question is..... are these vertical dimensions given in INCHES, or some arbitrary number not described anywhere else?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-07-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Ramp height will vary depending on how far back in the field it is. The farther back, the less height is needed to aim the windshield at the screen.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 08:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the preferred ramp slope depends upon the elevation of the screen's horizontal centerline.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our site will be double ramped, like shown in the bottom of the graphic above.

Our screen is 25' x 60' - with the bottom of the screen 16 feet off the ground.

The top of the first ramp is 75 feet from the face of the screen, and the top of the furthest ramp is 309 feet away from the screen.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Adam Martin said: "Aim the windshield at the screen". The ramps should be sloped so the driver and passengers have a clear "line of sight" with the horizontal centerline of the screen. Getting it right is most critical for the rows closer to the screen, and for the rear seat passengers.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-08-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Evans could give us a formula or two to find the ramp height based on height of screen center and distance from screen. It's all a triangle geometry thing, but I suck at math. Maybe I'll give it a shot later today after I've had some caffeine.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you have a perfectly flat field, and the screen base is at the same elevation as the cars, you have a relatively simple geometry problem to calculate the angle the car should be tilted by the ramp.

If we assume a height to the center of the windshield to be about 5 feet, for your screen the vertical side of a right triangle is 16 + 25/2 - 5 = 23.5 feet. The horizontal side of the right triangle is the distance from the screen to the ramp, ranging from 75 to 309 feet. Now calculate the angle the hypotenuse (sight line) makes with the bottom side of the triangle, and have the ramp tilt the car upward by that angle.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While getting the ramp height is important. You will still have lots of stupid people who will not park on the ramps but in between them. [Roll Eyes] with there cars facing down and will have to be told how to park. The Way I explain it "Pretend there is a speaker on the post way up there with a 3 foot cord on it that you will need to hang in you window to hear the movie" That usually gets them to a better place. NO NO don"t run over the post you park beside it [Mad]

Tim
Starlite Drive-In

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-11-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An often-overlooked fact is the original purpose of the ramps is so people in the back seat of a car can see the screen. The driver is supposed to slightly adjust the car's position on the ramp until the screen comes into view for the rear seat passengers. You almost don't need ramps for front-seat occupants (almost). The overall slope of the field aids in viewers being able to see over the tops of cars in front.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: