Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How can it be out of focus only on one side of the screen? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How can it be out of focus only on one side of the screen?
Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently a projector started having a problem of projecting an image that is a little out of focus on the left hand side of the screen only. The right hand side of the screen looks fine. I've tried cleaning the lenses and port window but nothing helps. A customer mentioned who is a former theater manager said that we needed to check our "tracking". But we don't know what that means.

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
??

Make sure that the gate is clean.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we've checked the gate everything is clean.

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
what projector are you using?
The problem is for all formats or only one?
Check the lens, it could be damaged.
Check the window glass.
Giorgio.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a Scope feature, make sure that the lens is set to the proper throw distance.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using a STRONG projector. And so far we've only been running LOTR which is Scope. We haven't tried the flat lense yet, but I guess we should test a trailer or something. But so far the lense doesn't appear to be damaged.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim -- I'm assuming that this occurs with all films, right? Did it just suddenly occur, or gradually appear over a period of time?

With both Flat and Scope lenses? If it's both lenses and all film formats, that tells you the problem is likely projector oriented and not in lenses.

Can you get the left side sharp with the focus knob? If that's the case, there may be a problem with the lens turret and its alignment with the trap. However, this would probably show up more with the picture being out of alignment with the screen and masking. If the picture is still properly centered on screen, then the problem might be in the film gate and trap. Depending on the projector, you need to be sure the Gate is closing fully on both sides of the film.

Georgio's comment on the port glass is a good one. You could oil or some other problem that is effecting only part of the picture.

Pat

EDIT -- just saw your post that it's a "Strong" projector. I'm going to guess it's a Simplex Millennium. Check out the Flat lens image quality, and the porthole is a great candidate for causing a soft focus on one side of the picture. Other than that, the info above is a good start.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-06-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it used to be in focus then the film plane is probably somehow not square to the lens. Check another lens though, it isn't unusual for a ring to be loosened during cleaning allowing the front or rear element to sit cockeyed.
It may be a turret problem, you don't say if you have a turret or fixed lens mount. Rough treatment of the turret can misalign it and result in this focus problem, but that also shifts the image quite a bit. Usually the main complaint is that there's no image on one side of the screen... if that gets "fixed" by moving the projector (or recutting the aperture...) you'll notice the focus trouble.
Take a good look at the film running through the gate. Any problem with the actual film being out of proper alignment should be visible.
You should be able to tell by hand if the fixed gate or rail assembly is loose. If so, the pressure from the bands or whatever will push the thing off-square but hold it fairly steady so the image has a focus problem rather than shaking about.
I would check if anyone has "fixed" the projector recently. That's usually my first question on odd problems like this. It's easy to fix a symptom without realizing the true problem, plus even proper periodic maintenance has risks - if parts were removed for cleaning or anything they may be improperly reinstalled.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of your simplexs is it the one with the old style manual turret of the electric turreted ones
If you can bring each side into focus(and the other side then goes out I would check the gate bands as one is likely stretched or worn
If it the old manual turret machine with the straight gate then probably the rail is worn.

If you cannot bring that side into focus (even loosing centre and the focus on the other side) then I would bet the lens has been damaged (scorched) or the lamp alignment is off

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plugged rails and/or bands with film wax and dirt buildup, out-of-alignment lens holder, warped film trap, or something binding in the focus assy, such as that Century, Cineshitty, Monee, or Westrex uses.

Also, loose elements in the lens will cause that. I agree with Gordon's assesment on the lamp being mis-aligned.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from what everyone else mentioned I've seen the lens element rings, and or the element assemblys come loose inside the back up lens. This can also cause some wierd uneven focus problems. Also make sure the lens does not have a shattered element inside it. This too will cause an uneven focus problem.
Mark @ CLACO

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem. We bought an Align-O-Tron and we notice that the projector was out of alignment, the laser was pointing up to the left. For our luck was not necesary change the mask.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-06-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First and easiest things to check and remedy are gate cleanliness (no buildup) and gate tension.

Check turret (if one is used) or lens mount to be sure they are in proper position, and haven't gotten out of alignment. Likewise, check lateral guide rollers and studio guides to be sure they are properly aligned and aren't "pinching" the film. Gate bands and/or rails need to press uniformly on both sides of the film. Is the gate closing properly, or is there some binding?

As others have noted, if both lenses have the same problem, it's not likely the lens. Try a lens from a different projector if you suspect both lenses got damaged by heat or careless handling.

Ideally, you should see the finer resolution lines on the SMPTE 35-PA (RP40) test film, with any focus fall-off uniformly out at the edges. Greater than 80 line pairs per millimeter is ideal. Anything less than 40 is pretty bad.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think John has got it with the guide rollers. Check to see that they are spinning and have a little lateral movement.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2003 11:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If swapping the lens like John suggested does not correct the problem, I would advise inspecting the runner shoe contact with the bands to make sure they are making an even contact with the inboard and outboard bands AT THE SAME TIME when you very gently and slowly close the film trap without any film in it. If one side hits before the other side, that's your problem. You will need a very keen eye to see that.

I have had that happen once on an XL with a curved gate, and the guide shafts that the trap assy slides on were actually bent. I removed the trap and used a nut driver to give the shafts a "wang" to straighten them. The problem went away.

I hope you don't have to do this, because if you put too much butt behind the "wang" and if is sprung bad enough, you might wind up with a handful of peanuts! [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: