Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound AND Picture drop outs

Author Topic: Sound AND Picture drop outs
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-05-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, some of my freinds and I went up to LA to watch a few movies which have not yet been released in San Diego. We went to 2 different complexes.

On the second complex we visited, Some of us saw Antwone Fisher and some of us saw 25th Hour. Durrinig my presentation, There were a few points durring which both the picture and the sound dropped out. I thought this may be a lab defect, becuase the image quality and reel changes looked great, however, my freinds noticed the same thing on their film.

What would cause this??

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the digital sound drop out to analog, or drop out completely? Did the picture literally go "black", or was there still something on the screen, but discolored or something like that?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-05-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture went complealy black, as if the film was covered in masking tape. The sound droped out completely a split second later. Theese drop outs only lasted a few frames, and most people probably didnt notice. The system was SDDS. Especialy irritating as Antwone Fisher is only in SR-D.

Overall, I had the worst movie going experience of my lifetime at this theatre, due mostly to VERY poor auditorium design & unfreindly staff. I can't beleive this theatre seems to do so well. Supposedly a lot of movie stars visit this theatre. I guess the people in LA who make movies don't give a [bs] about high quality presentation.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the lamp went out due to a fluttering sail switch (Christie K20 series was famous for this) and there may have been a sound mute to prevent noise on ignitions.

Steve

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this a so-called "key deluxer?" A theatre that gets its name in a box with showtimes in the L.A. Times ads? I've noticed standards have been slipping lately in the L.A. key theatres (although Mann still manages excellent presentations). I had bad experiences at both the Arclight and Grove.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-05-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the AMC Century 14.

<GRIPE>
This place had everything i can't stand about AMC. Surrounds up at the celling, screen arrays 10 ft above the screen, isles down the center, and no alternative to SDDS. 5 Auditoriums are what i would consider "suitable". ALL the others are deplorable. I walked up to the screen to find that the bottom was about waist level, and if i reached, i could touch the center. If someone in the front 3 rows got up (which hapened 5 times durring the show) It would produce a shadow on the screen. This screen could not be more than 15ft wide. The masking was adjustable only from the top, thus reducing image size even further. The emegency exit door, with way-to-bright-leak-green-on-the-screen, was righ next to the screen, pushing the screen off center to the left. The main door was at the rear, facing the screen. Whenever someone opened the door, ambient light from the hallway entered the theatre. When it closed it made a loud distracting noise. The overall image quality was good, with the exception of the drop outs. Clean, and in focus. I have nothing to comlain about with the projection staff -- yet. But the floor staff on the other hand was uninterested in customer service, and one manager in particular, was downright rude. I QUIETLY entered another auditorium, to see if my freinds film had finished. A few seconds later this manager barged into the auditorium after me, causing several patrons to turn around. He asked to see my ticket, which i showed him while quietly explaining that I was just seeing if my freinds film had finished. He then lectured me, while we were in the auditorium, that we would have to leave becuase our presence (standing in the back of the auditorium) was destrating HIS patrons from the film-experience. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I picked up a coment card on the way out, and promised myself that i woudnt go there even if it was the last theatre on the face of the earth.

At least the popcorn was decent.

</GRIPE>

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century City 14 known to be super busy but awful service. I saw Black Hawk Down there last year, too loud but good presentation and everything about the doors you mentioned is correct.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: